Old 03-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
flagsracer9

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Grand River 2018

CANCELLED

I have been watching the water level and weather forecast all week. The beginning of the week, the forecast was high of 37 and sunny for Sunday. It's now projected to be about 30-31 degrees tomorrow at paddle time, with the winds about 10mph, occasional gusts to 30mph, cloudy and snow in the morning. This section is mostly located in a deep valley/gorge so take another couple degrees away for that. With the cold winter, water temp is still around 43 degrees. A couple years ago, 4 of us did this trip in similar situation, it was a very cold day even with Rich bringing us hot chocolate and fresh from the oven pizza half way. At best tomorrow, it's a long, very cold 8 mile paddle; but at worst, it has the potential to become dangerous quick, so I think it's best to cancel.

Grand River

Trip Leader Jessica Hoffart

When- Sunday April 8th

Where- Harpersfield Covered Bridge Metropark, 1225 Harpersfield Rd, Geneva, OH 44041

GPS- 41.756875, -80.943934

Time-
11:00 am

We know it is April when we head back north to paddle the Grand River. This year, there is a change in that we are definitely doing the upper section, instead of having a choice of the two sections. We will be doing the Harpersfield Covered Bridge Metropark(St Rt 534)to Hidden Valley Park (St Rt 528) section, which is a hair over 8 miles.

This section is a little calmer than the second with two good class I+ rapids. They are right by each other; the first is a straight forward paddle through it and go. The second is an S style rapid that can push you into the bank if you do not angle correctly and paddle. After that it is a nice paddle with lots of little ripples. Both the put in and take out are fairly easy, although neither is a paved ramp. The Grand River is very scenic and fun to paddle, but at high water can be very hard and technical and possibly hazardous.

If anyone is interested after the paddle, we can go view a scenic water fall that is approximately 10-15 minutes from the take out. The name of it is Paine's Falls and a link to the park is below. Let me know if you are interested in going to see it.

http://www.lakemetroparks.com/parks-...ine-falls-park

The reason we are doing this section this year (and likely next year too) is due to major construction on Vrooman Road. Vrooman Road is the road that Mason's Landing Park (the takeout for the second section) in on. The park is literally in the middle of the construction zone. The steep hill just north of the park has a failing retaining wall and has been closed permanently. The bridge just south of the park entrance is also in bad shape, but is still open, at the moment. They are soon going to start work on a brand new bridge upriver of the current one which will redirect the road away from the park. After that is completed, the main park is going to be moved to the opposite side of the Grand River and the current bridge will be removed and replaced with a pedestrian only walking bridge. Although they have not announced it yet, I expect at some point this summer and/or next year for the river in that area to be closed due to the bridge construction & demolition. If you plan to come paddle that section of the Grand River at any point, you may want to check and see what is going on construction-wise before heading up. In addition to the construction going on, Mike & I also found a tree down in this section when we did it on 3/18/18, which at high water will have to be portaged and is in a potentially dangerous spot, especially with a large group. I provided a link below if anyone is interested in the construction project going on.

http://www.wkyc.com/article/news/loc...4/95-531084475

Last edited by flagsracer9; 04-07-2018 at 04:52 AM.
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
judy_schuster

Default Re: Grand River paddle 4/8/18

What is the process for "signing up" for outings ? I am new to TCT. Is this paddle still on ? Has anyone else signed up ? May I bring a guest paddler with me ?
judy_schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
KenM

Default Signing up for outings

Judy,

The trip leaders are requesting that you post on this forum if you are planning to come on a trip. This is a courtesy that gives the leader a heads up of who and how many they can expect. It also helps in arranging the shuttle.

This is also a good place to ask questions about an upcoming trip... details, difficulty, equipment needed etc.

As far as the trip this Sunday... The weather for Madison, Oh is calling for a low Saturday of 26 deg and a high Sunday of only 33 deg. The water temp on the Grand is 43-44 degrees. River level is at 4 foot but may change with these storms today (Tuesday).

I don't know your experience level but... The air/water temps are seriously dangerous and only the experienced and properly outfitted paddler should attempt this. I know for a fact that Ken and Cheryl will not consider this trip with these conditions (disappointed). I would expect that Jessica is pulling hair out about right now??

KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
flagsracer9

You do not have to sign up officially for this paddle. There are some events that we need a head count for, but this is not one of them. All you have to do is show up on Sunday if you wish to come.

Its always best to check the website the night before and make sure there isn't something that causes a trip to be cancelled or changed last minute, like river level or weather. Currently, the paddle is still on & the river is at a nice level. I will be watching the level closely after the storms & rain today, but I don't expect it to be too high for Sunday unless we get a lot more rain than forecasted overnight.

Right now it is only expected to be in the mid-30s on Sunday, so I would only recommend going on the paddle if you have appropriate cold weather gear otherwise it will be a very long, cold paddle. We did this section a few years ago when it was low 30s, and even with cold weather gear-it was cold. I am hoping the weather forecast changes (for the better) before Sunday.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
flagsracer9

Ken,

Pulling my hair out, no... Googling "how to perform sudden warm weather spell & anti-rain dances" maybe??

It's been draining quickly so I don't think water level will be an issue, but with the cold weather the cut off level will be lower then I would consider otherwise.

On a side note, I vote myself out of being volunteered to lead this paddle in the future and for Rich to take it back over. He had nicer weather and water levels, so he is clearly the better choice.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
richpinky

Good call Jess ! Better SAFE then anything. That river is not going anywhere.
richpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
mfdanko99

I agree with cancelling the paddle.
Just hope we can paddle it soon