Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Ohio water trails info

New Ohio trails website is here. When you get their map up, you can turn on just the water trail features. Looks like there's a lot of info.

https://trails.ohiodnr.gov/trails/

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
KenM

Thanks for the link. Interesting. Must be new? Could be useful for basic planning for the designated rivers at least. K&C will be in Dayton area this weekend. Have some extra time to look around so will stop at a couple of places to throw eyeball on the Stillwater, Greenville. Mad River for a future trip. I was just sitting here looking at some river maps so good timing.

I could not get it to print maps. Either not functional or there is some trick?

-KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #3
flagsracer9

Ken,

When we went last summer, Mike & I did part of the Mad River closer to Springfield. We very much enjoyed it & I recommend it. It was very scenic. We used Mad River Adventures and did their 8 mile trip. If we went back again, we would do the 11 mile instead since I think the 8 miles was quite a bit shorter then 8 miles.

Mad River Adventures
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
KenM

Thanks for info. I remembered that you two were down in that area but didn't remember where exactly. Did you not go to the Buck Creek whitewater park? We will be only 5-6 miles from there or the livery so may go take a look. No paddling this trip!

Will leave Friday morning. There are a few nature preserves in that area we wanted to visit. A couple of them border the Stillwater and Greenville Creek.

We are meeting some folks Sat afternoon at John Bryan State Park for a wildflower walk. The area is renowned for spring flowers. Staying in Yellow Springs Sat night.

Ken
Old 03-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
flagsracer9

We did go to the whitewater park too. There is actually 2 in springfield on Buck Creek. There is the more well known one and theres a second with 2 rapids right behind the art? museum a bit upstream from there. We also went down & paddled part of the Little Miami one day. I liked the mad river better then the Little Miami but perhaps a different section of it might have been better?

If you have time, Glen helen park has some nice trails to walk and has the yellow springs that the town is named for.
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
KenM

Default Livery mileage

"8 miles... would do the 11 miles"

At times K & C use liveries if available for shuttles since we are apt to be paddling alone. Mostly we have good service and we don't have a problem with the cost which (usually) seems to be fair.

My experience with the mileage given by the liverys though is to take it as only a rough estimate... especially if it is a popular river like the Mohigan. The paddling time given might be a better indication.

A couple of years ago we were on a weekend jaunt. Going through Loudonville we stopped at Loudonville canoe livery and had them haul our boats upstream for the 7 mile trip. Water was low and slow. We got back much sooner than expected. When I checked my GPS it was barely over 5 miles! They DID call it a 1.5 hour trip.

I later figured out that the liveries closer to the park all had 7 mile trips listed...so they had a 7 mile trip too! Competition beats accuracy.

KenM

ps Glen Helen... that was last year!

Last edited by KenM; 03-28-2018 at 01:29 PM.