Old 05-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Cuyahoga River 6-2-13

We all heard of Peddle & paddle trips, well we are going beyond that. Rail and paddle trip.

We will be using the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. We are the first official club to do this with the train services. per CVSR

We will meet at the Brecksville Train Station at 12:30PM, get unloaded and get our gear in front of the train station PER CVSR the train should stop about 1:10pm. Once the train stops all bike riders will get loaded first then we will load our canoes and Kayaks up. We will board and pay 10 dollars to ride the trail to Peninsula OH. During this time you can buy drinks and snacks form the train service.

Once in Peninsula we will have to WORK TOGETHOR to get to the put in. Once there we will launch one boat at a time, once in the water paddle past the trust and there is a pool of water to wait for others. Again one boat at a time, I will be the LAST BOAT in then we can head down river. Once we past under the 271 and Turnpike bridges we can have the lead guy look for a rest stop for lunch.

We will pull out any were around the Brecksville train station; Do not go past the damn just upstream from the parking lot. The National park ranger has warned me to not past that damn

Brecksville Train Station Address - 13512 Station Rd., Brecksville, OH 44141

GPS 41.318992 -81.587900

Any Question & please call me Mike Danko 330-847-9741 or email me
mfdanko99@yahoo.com

Last edited by mfdanko99; 05-30-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: wrong gps
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (06-01-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)

Thanks for the posting on the upcoming trip Mike. Dianne and I are looking forward to the paddle and will be there. There is a typing error on the GPS coordinates you posted. I think you meant, 41.318992 -81.587900. Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday and thank you Mike for leading this trip.

Bruce Ambrose
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
rambler

I won't be able to join you Sunday as I'm doing the Slip Clinic over in PA this weekend, but not too far after the I-271 bridge you'll come to the Vaughn Road bridge. I've used that as a takeout in the past for trips from Peninsula. Not the easiest river access point, but you can get out there on river right. Up at road level, the bike path crosses there and there would be plenty of room for a group to have lunch. No picnic tables or anything though.

If the river is low enough, there will also likely be plenty of sandbars you could use as a lunch spot.

Depending on the river level, there might be a nice surf wave right at the I-271 overpass.

Have a good trip!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing." -- Henry David Thoreau
[I]
[SIZE="1"]Notice he didn't say anything about kayaking...[/SIZE][/I] :4:
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Aaron

Smile Cuyahoga train + kayak

thanx mike for organizing, i plan to be there + 2 of my friends.

aaron
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
mfdanko99

it is 9 am, checked usgs gage it is running around 1500 cfs, it will we a swifty water paddle for at lease the first half, be prepared for quick steering. will have some nice waves so bring skirt if possible.

mike
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
JPTolson

Really fun run on the Cuyahoga today at a nice level from Peninsula to Brecksville, and without the hassle of shuttling vehicles. Gorgeous weather as well. Many thanks to Mike Danko for organizing the trip and to Steve Preston for bringing such healthy and great tasting comestibles to share.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPTolson For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Greyhounds2

Thumbs up Cuyahoga Rails to Water Trails

Thanks Mike for putting together a wonderful paddle. We loved the train ride and everything was right on time. You made sure that everyone got in and out safely even with the rough access. The river was fast but not scary and we had a wonderful time. We had a great lunch stop at Boston Mills and had some time to view the museum. Thanks Steve (I hope I remembered your name right) for the wonderful fruit buffet and for keeping us in line at the beginning. We stayed afterward and walked the Ledges and Beaver Marsh sections of the national park. We got home around 11pm exhausted but happy we came.

Thanks again.

Mark & Kathy Murtha
Greyhounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
mfdanko99

Talking

Many Thanks go to all who paddled the Cuyahoga River Sunday.
Everyone helped out and made a trip that could be tough into an easy one. Also thank you to Steve for his fruit buffet, it was good.

On Sunday we had 14 boats (3 canoe's & 11 kayaks) for a total of 16 paddlers. We had three guests Erin who paddle with us in the past, one of his friends and Jessica.

Doug (a 1981 grad of Champion) came down from the Cuyahoga Scenic Railroad to get pictures of the boats and paddlers in front of the train station. He was very excited to have us come up. Loading the boats on to the train was easy and then we learned that TCT had our own passenger car reserved for us.
After a nice train ride we unloaded the boats and had to carry them about a football field length to the put in. Everyone pitched in that made it easy. Again thank to everyone for the put in, it is a rough terrain with rocks, but going one by one in to the river made it easy and we all made ok.
The first three miles offered several class I and two class II rapids that were fun to run that only caused one carnage for Tom and his son Brian. After Lunch it was smooth paddling with very pretty views.
Thanks again to everyone for making the take out easier than what it could have been. Again team work was in full gear this trip.
Thanks to Jason Mulloy and his I phone I found out the section from Peninsula to Brecksville is 9 miles not 7.5 miles. Water level was up due to rain the night before that really made it a fun trip.
USGS Gage in Independence was 4.2 Ft. at 1360 CFS
Thanks again to everyone, would like to do this section again
Mike Danko
PS soon as my computer is fixed will post pictures.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
mfdanko99

Thank you to Brian for some great pictures.