Old 01-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Little Beaver Story 1-10-21

Cheryl and I went for a walk at Little Beaver State Park Sunday afternoon. The creek looked good and there was a small car with j-hooks parked near the creek . I expect someone was paddling. Just going by the looks, I had to wonder if they were prepared for a swim when the air temp was only 34°.

We walked across the bridge and up the road to the trail that goes back to the vista. The vista is 400+ feet above the creek so you can really get a feel for how deep the valley is.

On our walk back, we came across another hiker and we got talking about Little Beaver. Jake had grown up nearby and still lives here. He told us stories about how he learned to swim at the "Tubbs". Another story was that as kids, they waited for really high water and then put their inner tubes in at the mill bridge, sometimes going as far as the Ohio River! Wow!

Now I wished I had asked what it was like to go though the hydraulics at Fredericktown on a tube.

KenM 1-11-21
BeaverCr.jpg
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Waves are huge!

A few of us know what it’s like going through Fredericktown at 8.7 feet in canoes and kayaks. The waves are huge! One guy in a playboat went up the face of a wave and as it curled upstream the boat flipped 180 degrees end over end (bow now pointing upstream and the stern downstream), putting the paddler upside down.

Last edited by JPTolson; 01-11-2021 at 12:17 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote