Old 08-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
onbohio

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Camping on the Allegheny Before the Cold Sets in

I am trying to plan a camping trip on the Allegheny with the couple who came along for the trip Sunday. So far it would be them and their two kids and me and my three kids. Is anyone else interested in doing some camping before it's gets cold?

I'm hoping to get some insight on the best places to camp and the starting points and takeouts for each. I was just looking at the river on Google maps and it seems there are a lot of islands just downriver from Franklin PA.

Suggestions on trips would be greatly appreciated. And, if anyone else would be interested in going please let me know. The more the merrier.

Thanks
onbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
swampboy62

Here's some info, from Franklin downstream.

There are a couple of boat launches in Franklin, one on either side of the river. The one at the Samuel Justus/Allegheny River Trail has a sizeable parking area.

There are several camp-able islands downstream of the rail trail high bridge just after East Sandy Creek.

The next launch downstream that I know is on the west side of the river at Fishermans Cove Road.

There is an old campground in the Clear Creek State Forest, Kennerdell Tract on west side of the river just above Kennerdell. Then there is a boat launch in Kennerdell (they used to charge $3 to use it - don't know if that's still the case). Just after the Kennerdell bridge there is a commercial campground at the mouth of Scrubgrass Creek on the west side of the river (Marlowe's Scenic River Campground).

Recenty on the forum here someone pointed out that there is a new campsite near the mouth of Mill Creek, east side of the river between Kennerdell and Emlenton. I'm not sure if this site is riverside or trailside.

There is river access at Emlenton, almost under the bridge.

There is river access at Foxburg. Then there is a big island just below Foxburg that should be good for camping.

There is river access at Parker, west side of the river after the bridge.

This isn't a complete list, but it is a place to start.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swampboy62 For This Useful Post:
onbohio  (08-26-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
mfdanko99

Go to this linlk, on top of the page click on trail maps.
This shows the whole river into three sections with all put-ins and take outs.
and everything between.

http://fishandboat.com/watertrails/alleg/trailguide.htm

Camping
Camping is permitted on any National Forest lands (island or shoreline), Cranberry Township lands, Venango County islands, and the Allegheny River Tract of Clear Creek State Forest. Camping is not permitted on state game lands. Suitable sites might be limited at times because of wet areas or very dense vegetation.

Leave no trace for camping and day use:
1) Pack it in, pack it out. 2) Properly dispose of human waste. 3) Leave what you find. 4) Properly dispose of what you can?t pack out. 5) Plan ahead and prepare. 6) Camp and recreate on durable surfaces. 7) Minimize use and impact of fires.

For more information on "Leave No Trace" outdoor ethics, go to www.lnt.org. Public lands available for camping are indicated on the map. Islands colored purple are part of the Allegheny Islands Wilderness, where the use of motorized or mechanized equipment is prohibited. When locating National Forest lands from the water, look for occasional yellow U.S. Forest Service boundary signs on trees around the perimeter.

Mike

Last edited by mfdanko99; 08-27-2015 at 02:46 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
jd455  (08-28-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
onbohio

Thanks Steve, thanks Mike.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
onbohio

I just noticed there is a car camping trip planned for the Allegheny on the 25th of September. What is a car camping trip? Is this a paddle too?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
mfdanko99

I think you would really like it tom, I will be there since YSU has a bye week.
We set up camp at Buckaloons on friday night. On Saturday we will paddler part of the Allegheny and go back to the campgrounds. Then on sunday do another paddle on a different section that might be shorter.
Then head back to campgrounds and pack up and head home.

We did the samething on the clarion river at cooksburg in May and it was a Blast.
Rich Allen know that area very well.

Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
onbohio  (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
onbohio

Thanks Mike. What time do guys meet Friday night? I'll talk to Rob at work and see if he can make it.