Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Paddling Saturday

Seriously considering doing a bike & boat trip tomorrow on Middle Fork of Beaver Creek, from Franklin Square to Willow Grove Park in Lisbon.

I've paddled a lot of the other parts of Beaver Creek many times, but not this section. I have seen big parts of it from the bike trail, so I feel confident in knowing what to expect.

Water level should be high enough that this will be a quick run. No actual whitewater, but it will be quick current in a small creek with few eddies and the threat of downed trees possible. Add the fact that the water will be cold and this is not a trip for the inexperienced or poorly equipped. That being said, anyone that feels like this would be a good run for them and can be responsible for themselves on the water is welcome to come along.

I plan on putting in at the crossing with route 558 near Franklin Square, paddling down to Willow Grove Park, and then riding my bike back up to the car. Anyone who wants to paddle and not bike can be accommodated by the way we set up shuttle.

I'm thinking that earlier in the day would probably be better. Right now the forecast is for 39 degrees at noon with a high of 45. So I'm thinking of dropping the bike off at Lisbon first, and then coming up to Franklin Square area to put in around noon.

I'll check back here at this forum later today and Saturday morning before taking off.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
swampboy62

Here's a Google map of the trip.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...j0&usp=sharing

Steve Z
Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
mfdanko99

Unhappy

Would like to join you but I have to work Saturday
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
swampboy62

Turns out there was a change of plans on Saturday, so I didn't have the time needed for the trip I had planned. I did head down to Sprucevale and hike up to the surf wave on Little Beaver Creek for a bit of play on the wave.

But on Sunday my wife and I took the day off, and part of that was her running shuttle for a trip from Lusk Lock down to Sprucevale. With water levels right at 1000 cfs there was plenty of water below route 7, but there were places upstream from there that were a bit bony. It was about 10 miles on the water and almost couldn't have been better.

The surf wave down by Sprucevale was just about perfect on Sunday. The tree that had been in the eddy is gone, and it seems that the wave itself is slowly changing into a more even and better surfing wave. The eddy service was amazing Sunday, with a long narrow bank eddy that would feed you right back into the head of the wave. This is an excellent place for us semi-skilled kayakers to get some great surf and feel like a rock star!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVCV6g-h-4g

Steve Z
Old 03-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
mfdanko99

Nice video and skill!!
Were about on the creek was that wave?

That is funny that you were on the Main fork and came down to Sprucevale as we were on the West Fork and came to the State Park

Nice to hear the creek being used!!
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
swampboy62  (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
swampboy62

It's just upstream from Sprucevale about 1/4 mile. Close enough that if you park at the back lot there it's only a short carry upstream - go up far enough that you're just past the upstream end of the island thats at the curve, and the wave is on the far side of the island.

Wave seems to be getting better as it ages. Used to be weak on one side and pushy on the other - now mostly even all the way across. I'm guessing 800 to 1200 cfs would be the sweet spot. At 1000 cfs it was big enough I could have surfed a canoe!

Great little park n play, especially for Ohio. I've spent many, many hours on that wave.

BTW the gates were closed at Sprucevale last weekend, so I had to park on the road and walk in from a bit further out.

Steve Z