Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2023, 07:35 PM   #8
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Tempesr 130 ?

Hurricane Tempest 130 ??

Hurricane Tampico 130 maybe? This is a nice kayak. The lines and chines look like it would be a good handling kayak. I like to carve curves and maneuver around. I'd love to try it out... on a lake. My opinion is it would not be a good choice for moving water. Especially if there were ANY rocks. Why? It has a pronounced keel. Great for smooth water tracking. Not good for moving water. Same as the old canoes with a lake keel. And that keel will be the first to always scrape those hidden rocks. It will grind away.

The bottom of my 12'-6 Santee is rather flat with three small ridges for a keel. I have scraped a lot of rocks in 9 years and they show it. I have applied a bit of sacrificial epoxy to help with abrasion. A more pronounced keel would be worst.

Care of the ABS... I have always applied some sort of wax/protectant to top and bottom. 303 and others. Makes then pretty. And, after K & C have paddled thru a weedy swamp or scooted thru shallow water/mud... they are easier to clean. Ours are always stored inside.

I've only seen one Hurricane that cracked apart. A guy on one of our club paddles bought a used Hurricane that had been stored outside on a rack for a --long-- time. He hit a rock and busted out a chunk of plastic. There were other major repairs too. The constant sun killed it.

---Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote