Old 05-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
SOS57

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default TCT has a new first

MISSING???
Has anyone seen this person?
We left Sheffield yesterday on the Tionesta yesterday with 4 paddlers. When we arrived at Logan's Run to camp for the night we only numbered 3. After an uneasy night we paddled onward to Kelletville to take out.

This was found on the windshield of the truck.........

In all my time with the club I never heard of loosing the TRIP LEADER. Guess JP will have to move over. We may have found a replacement for on that pedestal.

BUT EVERYONE IS FINE, NO INJURIES BUT A DEFINITE NEW FAVORITE MEMORY.

See you all on the water soon.

Last edited by SOS57; 06-05-2020 at 07:09 AM.
SOS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
mfdanko99

WOW :)
that is amazing, I thought jessica and myself have had some amazing trips, but that is a first
Mike
Old 05-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
Ambridger

That is a paddling story that will not soon be forgotten! Glad everyone is safe.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
SOS57

No I haven't lead but a couple. I do much better in a support role. But I really enjoy the trips you plan. You a one of only a few members willing to plan a longer paddle with primitive camping on the way. I don't have the knowledge of our rivers to to do this with enough confidence to lead a group. As to picking out landmarks to find a campsite we plan to use, I'm generally depending on someone like you or EAR to know just where they are. Me? I usually keep checking an electronic map for dummies that says I am here and my destination is here.

Keep bringing us this kind of trip. Jim, Dan and I always look forward to them. Missing the site happens just as not planning how to handle does. We all had confidence that you were fine and would probably be sitting in wait for us after spending the night a mile or so downstream. Even so we worried as neither Jim nor I could get any calls out to you.

Lessons I learned from this? When Dan dumped at the one rapids we got too far separated. I didn't bring the radios that were in my car, thinking we were only 4 and all reasonably experienced. A radio could have let you know we had trouble and slowed down to wait for us. If we had kept in sight we would have known you missed the camp. If we had covered the possible issues ahead of time we might have avoided a lot of disappointment and worry for our whole group.

Maybe our next trip we will be better prepared for the unexpected and handle it better. But no matter what, I expect we will all still be surprised when that next "new" situation unfolds.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
48cub

Smile missing canoer

Jim R here. I was on this trip and having canoed this river 60 times in the last 40 odd years I take it for granted. Jim canoed it just twice before I think. Good lessons learned and nobody got hurt. Everybody take heed and don't take this stuff for granted it changes every time your on a river. Jim leaving a note was a relief for us as we were going to call 911 when we found his note. Lessons learned and don't hammer my camping canoe partner to bad!!
48cub is offline   Reply With Quote