Old 02-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Pine Creek - 2016

Pine Creek (The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon) - 2016

Please join the Trumbull Canoe Trails, April 8th, 9th, 10th as we paddle Pine Creek, the “Pennsylvania Grand Canyon”. All members are invited! We will be camping at the Kenshire Campground which is located near Gaines, PA on Rt. 6 and is located on the upper Pine Creek. This is the same campground used by club members for the 2014 trip, led by Ed Rigby.

On Friday, the 8th we can do the 9 mile section on the Upper Pine from Kenshire Campground to the public access area. We will do the shuttle ourselves. On Saturday the 9th, we can run the 17 mile gorge to Blackwell. We will be using Pine Creek Outfitters to shuttle us back to our cars, for a fee of course. On Sunday the 10th, we can make one final trip from Galton to the Campground. Detailed information on the trips is posted below.

Look up Kenshire Campground on the Internet. If you tell them you are with the club, they will try to group us together. So bring your tent, camper, pop-up, or rent a camper or a cabin off the campground and let’s have a good time, like we did in 2014!

Kenshire Campground
112 John Deere Lane
Ganes, PA 16921
814-435-1311
http://www.kenshirecampground.com/

2016 Prices

Camping Sites – Tents, Pop-ups, Campers
Dailey - $35.00 – Each additional adult after (2) $5.00 per night
Includes water/electric
Tent Campers: You may want to bring an electric heater and extension cord.

Camper Rentals
$60.00 nightly + Tax
Sleeps 2/3/4. Call Campground for details on how many beds and bed sizes.
To the best on my knowledge all campers includes heat/electric/water.

Please note that all members will be responsible for making their own camping reservations with the campground. If you are renting a camper or a cabin, please be sure you know exactly what you are renting and what amenities are in the camper/cabin. Such as heat, water, electric, number of beds, how may can it sleep, refrigerator, stove, and bathroom. Every camper is different and not all amenities are available in every camper. All the campers are price the same. So it’s first come first serve on the campers.

If you are interested in renting a camper from the campground and sharing the cost with someone, post to this forum, so members can team up together for a reservation. Again, these arrangements will be made between club members and not my responsibility.

When renting a camper, you are responsible for all your personals, bedding, and food.

Please note that camping sites on Pine Creek are $10.00 more per night. These prices are for off creek sites. Contact the campground if you have any questions.

Cabins
Deluxe Cabins - $97.00 nightly plus tax. Has Bathroom. Furnished except Towels & Bedding.

Standard Cabins - $86.00 nightly plus tax. No Bathroom. Furnished except Towels & Bedding.

If you have any questions concerning the campground facilities Camper rental, cabin rental or camper/cabin sleeping arrangements, please call the campground as they are the ones that can answer your questions.

Please post to the site after you make your camping reservations and post your arrival date. Some members are checking in Thursday the 7th, feel free to do so yourself.

Pine Creek Trips

The times listed are launch times

Trip 1: Friday 4/8 @ 1:30 PM - Campground to Public Take-out – Upper Pine
Shuttle: Campground to Public Launch. GPS – (41.73880, -77.62454)
Shuttle Miles: 8 miles – 12 minutes
Paddle miles: 9.15 miles Paddle Time: 3 to 4 hours
The paddle time for this a tentative start time. If all paddlers arrive early, the start time will be moved up.

Trip 2: Saturday 4/9 @ 10:00 AM – Pine Creek Outfitters to Blackwell – Pine Creek Gorge
Shuttle provided by Pine Creek Outfitters
$12.00 per person plus $5.00 per boat
Paddle miles: 17 miles. Paddle time 4.5 to 6 hours. Pick up time 5:00 PM

Trip 3: Sunday 4/10 Morning- @ TBD (Optional) Galton to Campground
Shuttle – Campground to Galton. GPS – 41.738851, -77.624578
Shuttle Miles – 3.5 miles – 6 minutes
Paddle Miles: 4

Important information on Trip 1, Friday, April 8: If you are traveling on Friday and plan to paddle that day, I need to be notified of your intention to paddle and your arrival at the campground needs to be 12:30 PM at the latest. With this in mind, those who are traveling on Friday and intend to paddle on Friday, need to email me and post to the site. “We will be paddling with the group on Friday and our expected arrival time is “time”.” I will be leaving for Kenshire Campground on Thursday, April 7th. Please notify me before that date if you are paddling Friday. If all paddlers arrive in plenty of time before the tentative 1:30 PM start time, the paddle will start earlier.

Saturday’s Shuttle

Pine Creek Outfitters
5142 Route 6
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-3003

Trip date: Friday, April 9th – 17 miles – From Pine Creek Outfitters to Blackwell – 5 to 6 hours for the trip. Pack a lunch – There are restroom facilities and picnic table at the midway point of the paddle.

Departure time from Outfitters: 10:00 AM. Pick up time: 5:00 PM.

Shuttle: $12 per person + $5 per boat.

The outfitter would like me to make the shuttle reservations on March 30th. So, please let me know ASAP.

This is a cold weather paddle, dress accordingly, wetsuits can be rented. Also a dry bag and a change of clothes is a must.

If you have any question you can me (Bruce Ambrose) at 724-550-7660, post to this forum or e-mail me at bea59@comcast.net

Last edited by brucea; 02-27-2016 at 07:58 AM.
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
brucea

Dianne and I have made our reservation and will be arriving on Thursday, April 7th. We expect to be at the campground at 1:30 PM and will be staying in our pop-up.

Bruce

Old 02-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
JPTolson

Default Planning to Paddle Pine Creek

I have rented a four-person camper at Kenshire Campground for the nights of April 7, 8, and 9. It is already filled. I plan to arrive sometime on Thursday, April 7.

I plan on doing Saturday's trip so will want to use the outfitter's shuttle service.

Thanks very much to Bruce for gathering all this information and setting up the trip.

Last edited by JPTolson; 02-26-2016 at 04:43 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
Mary Kane

Default Pine Creek - Sat. April 9th

I will arrive LATE Friday night and will take part in the shuttle and paddle Saturday. I'll stay in the top bunk of JP's rental that night and paddle Sunday as well. I am really looking forward to this trip and regret I am unable to get Friday off work.
Is anyone staying over Sunday night???

Last edited by Mary Kane; 03-21-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Arriving LATE Friday night, rather than Sat. morning
Mary Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mary Kane For This Useful Post:
brucea  (03-26-2016), JPTolson  (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
suram

Default Hope you do this trip again...

I can't make it this year but I would really love to do this trip so I hope you do it another time! Have fun and be safe!
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #6
zzrufus1

Steve & Andy Lukco plan on attending. We should arrive at the campground by the 1:30 departure time on Friday. We hope to be there by 1:00. We will be camping in tents. Will paddle Friday & Saturday, but doubtful for Sunday.
zzrufus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
brucea

Ron Ells has informed me that he will be attending the Pine Creek Trip. He will be arriving Thursday evening or Friday morning.

Shuttle reservations have been made for all those that have posted or informed me that they are going on the trip. There is still plenty of time to make plans for this trip.

Bruce
Old 03-23-2016, 06:48 AM   #8
zzrufus1

I just re-read the initial info... Steve & Andy Lukco will do our best to be at the campground by 12:30.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
zzrufus1

Sorry for late notice, but I have another friend coming on the trip... He will be on the Friday trip as well.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
brucea

Just to update everyone, we have a total of nine people that are coming on the trip. Bruce, Dianne, JP, Ron, Mary, Erick, Steve, Andy and a friend of Steve & Andy.

There is still plenty of time to make arrangements for this trip, so please contact me if you plan on attending.

Bruce
The Following User Says Thank You to brucea For This Useful Post:
zzrufus1  (03-24-2016)