Old 04-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
Ambridger

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Oil Creek

Jodi and I were on the bike trail along Oil Creek last weekend. The gauge was at about 4.5 and the creek was flowing nicely. At the level I was seeing, I would envision a float trip with more steering than paddling, not overly swift though. Most of what I could see appeared to be class 1 - could not see the entire stream from the trail. There did seem to be some debris piled up against the rail road bridge piers where the tracks cross the creek, just downstream of Rouseville - passage could be narrow. I would suggest scouting from the RR bridge before floating; it would be a short walk from the closest access point. I have read on other sites, that below 3.5 there is alot of bumping and scraping. There is a new car-top launch (take out) and lot next to the Dollar General, just upstream of downtown Oil City. You could continue downstream and onto the Allegheny, for a take-out on river left, about another half mile downstream. I would envision launching at the lower end of OCSP, adjacent to RT 8 (a few parking spot near-by). And, let me suggest Casey's, near the Dollar General take-out, for an after float refreshment; we did enjoy good food and cold beverages there.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambridger For This Useful Post:
mfdanko99  (04-28-2017)