Old 04-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Pine Creek Trip Canceled

Friends:

Due to unfavorable weather conditions for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I feel it is in the best interest of all, to cancel the upcoming trip to Pine Creek on April 8, 9, 10. This decision is out of concern for the safety of all members due to the cold paddling conditions and the length of Saturday’s trip.

The weather for Friday is a high of 38 degrees with 10 to 20 mph winds. The low temperature for Friday night is 22 degrees. The high temperature for Saturday is 31 degrees with 20 to 30 mph winds along with snow showers in the morning. The low Saturday night is 19 degrees, making an early Sunday morning paddle very cold. Temperatures in the gorge are much lower than the predicated temperatures for the day. I have collected this information from the Wellsboro, PA weather station.

When planning this trip, I was hoping we would have similar weather and paddling conditions as we did in 2014. Unfortunately we will not. I do not think paddling for 3 days in the cold and wind plus being cooped up in a camper or a tent during our free time would very exciting.

I want to thank all those who did sign on for the trip. I will not be rescheduling this trip this year.

If you have a camping reservation, please call the campground and let them know you are not coming. I will take care of canceling our shuttle reservation.

Bruce Ambrose

Last edited by brucea; 04-05-2016 at 10:28 PM.
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Mary Kane

Default Bummer

Thanks for all your hard work on this attempt at the Pine Creek, Bruce. We all wish the weather would've cooperated and your choice to cancel seems best. Let's hope for next year!
Mary Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
JPTolson

Agree with Mary. Bruce really worked hard on putting this trip together and monitoring conditions and forecasts. Sometimes trips just aren't meant to go. Thanks for making the prudent decision to cancel given the bone-chilling temperatures called for this weekend.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
zzrufus1

Dang!! Thanks for trying Bruce.
zzrufus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
KenM

Default condolences

Even though Ken and Cheryl were not planning to attend we were sorry to see this had been cancelled. We know how much work goes into planning a multi-day trip for a group. -ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote