Old 04-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Lawrence County PA

On Tuesday April 7th I met with Doneile Russell of Lawerence County River Conservation Plans.

She was asking for information on a county wide water trails they are working on.
The rivers she is working on are-
Shenengo River, Mahoning River, Beaver River, Neshanneck River, Connoquenessing Creek, & Part of the Slippery Rock Creek.

We talked on different idea's for maps and how to rate the river in the county and all put ins and take outs.
(Example-Shenengo River being a Color Green for all paddlers. While the Connie a Red for Experience Paddlers with a list of Gear that is need to Paddle this Class II + River)

I was able to talk her out of promoting the White Water section of Slippery Rock Creek and doing the very lower end on the slip from Armstrong Bridge to the Connie. TCT did that section in 2014 with Paul Issac as trip leader.

She is also been talking with Fish Commission and other state and local officials. She has also met with Shenengo River Watchers, Three Rivers Paddling Club, Friends of the Mahoning and Colleges in the area.

During the meeting we covered paddling safety and idea's of marking bridges with road names and mile markers on the bridges.

She also went over the possibility of new launches in the future in Lawerence County.
As we all know they have already add two new ones on the Shenengo River. The first of the two was McQuiston (Nashau Rd) Launch that we have already used and Pulaski Launch.

The best news I heard is that they are going to add two launches to the Mahoning River. They may be done at the end of 2016.
The first launch will be by Church Hill Rd not far from Ohio/Pa border. The second will be our take out at Coverts Crossing in Edinburg PA. There is good chance we could do our paddle from Lowellville down to Edinburg at the end of October and they will have a grand opening of the ramp at the same time.

We also talked about a possible USGS Gauge on the Neshannock Creek that would also benefit TCT. We also paddled this in 2014 with Paul Issac as trip leader.

At the end of our meeting she gave me several maps with current and future launches in the county. I will pass them out to any members who would like a copy. She also gave me a bigger version of the map that I will bring to other paddles encase anyone would like to view it.

Over all I think is a great chance to support her in her efforts and gives TCT more options to paddle in the region.
When I learn of more information I will pass it on.

Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
brucea  (04-10-2016), JPTolson  (04-10-2016), LWP  (04-15-2016), Mary Kane  (04-11-2016), richpinky  (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
richpinky

Thank you Mike for your time and efforts for all the members in our club. Great job !!
richpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
BOBK

Thanks, Mike, for all your extra effort all year long.