Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
suram

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Moonlight Paddle Lake Milton

Moon Light Paddle Lake Milton- Trip Leader Sue Ramdin
When- Friday July 27th (Rain Date Saturday July 28th)

Where- 2898 Penn Court Lake Milton OH 44429

Time start 7-9pm, ending whenever

GPS 41.077316, -80.977310

Looking forward to the moonlight paddle on Friday July 27. Rain date is Saturday July 28.Weather looks OK for Friday so we're doing this Friday

We will meet at our place on Lake Milton: 2898 Penn Court, Lake Milton Ohio (GPS usually works well getting folks here). GPS coordinates are: GPS 41.077316,-80.977310

I'll be there from 6 on. We'll have a potluck dinner between 7 and 9. Feel free to come and hang out around the fire (I have firewood this year Rich and Ken believe it or not), visit and eat, then head out to paddle between 830 and 930.

In the newsletter I said between 9 and 930 but some may want to see the first glimpse of the moon rising so we should be on the water sooner than 9. I'm thinking 815-830

Sunset is at 8:44. Moonrise is 8:47 (so we'll see it between 9-9:15 unless it's cloudy). If it looks like a washout we should be able to tell by Thursday night in which case we can change it to Sat.

Gear: bring several glow sticks to decorate your boats. Red lighted headlamps are also good. Your boat or you must be visible in the dark but you also don't want to blind your fellows paddlers with lights that are too bright.
Bring a chair and insect repellant
The club usually provides hotdogs and hamburgers but the sausage, peppers and onions were a big hit last year so I'll be doing that again. I'll do a few veggie burgers as well. There will be iced tea and water to drink. Feel free to bring whatever else you want to drink and a side dish.
It's about a 5 mile paddle if you go all the way down to the Berlin dam and back. Some go all the way to the dam and some head back to the campfire sooner. We usually eat again when we get back. I'll be there all night so however late you want to stay is fine.

Once again the Perseid meteor shower will reach its maximum rate of activity on 13 August 2018 but some shooting stars associated with the shower are expected to be visible each night from 23 July to 20 August. Annual meteor showers arise when the Earth passes through streams of debris left behind by comets and asteroids.
I've had a few questions from some who have not paddled in the dark so posting this from ODNR:

Vessels Under Oars
OAC 1501.47-2-25
A vessel under oars may exhibit lights for sailing vessels, but if not, shall have an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light in sufficient time to prevent collision.

copied from- http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/lights#601

Any questions please feel free to get in touch with me
Sue 330-518-1359

Last edited by suram; 07-26-2018 at 03:12 PM.
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
mfdanko99

Jess and I will be there.
I will be bringing our tote with plates and plastic wear from the picnic
Old 07-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #3
KenM

K & C with Zucchini Salad.

If you need more wood we can bring more.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
suram

Thanks see you all tomorrow! Ken I think we have enough wood if it stays dry under the tarp in the rain tonight...
Old 07-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
Greyhounds2

Default Leave the light on for us

We're coming up for the paddle. Seems like it's going to be a great night.

Mark & Kathy Murtha
Greyhounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
KenM

Default Mostly Clear 9pm

weather underground says
partly cloudy until 9 pm then mostly clear
Old 07-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
mfdanko99

Default Review

What a great evening. I had a blast and I think other did as well.
Big thanks goes to Sue for opening up her home to the club, and having a fire and everyone working together for a great dinner.

We had 18 boats, with 20 paddlers (16 kayaks, 1 two man kayak, 1 Canoe)

Total for the event that I counted was 25 total.

It was fun sitting around the fire and getting to know our new members Todd & his wife and telling stories of past paddles.

Again a big thanks to Sue for leading this trip.
My total paddle was 6.1 miles

Mike
Old 07-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
suram

Thanks Mike for the trip report.

I think the paddle was a success: we had good weather and got to see the moon as it was rising and then not much of it until it was over the tree line. We weren’t quite able to make it to the damn due to shallow water just before.Thanks to all for the wonderful food and great company! Thanks to Stan for getting the fire going and to Mike and Mark for rescuing the golf cart! I think I have Ken and Cheryl’s lawn chairs and serving spoon. Looking forward to next year! I’ll post the video and pics in the next few days.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #9
KenM

Default thanks from K & C

Another thanks to Sue for this event... it was an enjoyable evening. What a nice evening to be out on the water. You sure hit it right this year.

K & C only paddled up a little beyond the second bridge so stopped short of the camp area. We paddled along with Romaine and Wayne until heading back. I like that area the best as it's somewhat narrow and dark and quiet. Occasionally we saw/ head some other paddlers across the lake and wondered where that group of 28 other paddlers we saw at launch had disappeared too? We only paddled a bit over 4 miles by the time we got back. Cheryl spotted a shooting star on the way back.

We intended to leave early as we had a full day scheduled on Saturday with a group of wildflower people. We got back and loaded the boats and went back up to the house. Ron was there but went back down to the water with Ray so we thought we would stick around to keep an eye on the house. It was about 12:30a when Sue came walking up. We said our goodbyes but left before the group got back. Forgot about the chairs by then so will get them another day.

I will confess that getting to bed at 1:30am is Waaaay beyond my bedtime. I spent most of Saturday standing out in a field on a beautiful, hot sunny day thinking about a nap.

KenM