Old 12-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Dangerous Work

Another consideration is the danger of the work cutting up very large trees, some of which will be in a current, with all the physics of motion that sudden weight release will trigger. Also on a work trip a few years ago on the upper Mahoning, I watched with both awe and trepidation one of our club members use a chain saw while standing on a water-slicked log that was bobbing in the current in order to reach an offending branch that was blocking passage. So I think some of this work is beyond what volunteers who are not tree-cutting professionals should be asked to perform.

Last edited by JPTolson; 12-25-2017 at 11:15 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JPTolson For This Useful Post:
jimbo  (12-26-2017), KenM  (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #12
jimbo

I have cut trees for over 30 years but never standing in water or sitting in a boat. The first clean up needs to be left to the professionals who have the equipment to move lots of wood and is why it has not been done yet. The real question is does Santa paddle a kayak or a canoe.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 11:22 PM   #13
JPTolson

Smile

BobK has been informed of the correct answer to the question of whether Santa paddles a canoe or kayak, but it won't hurt to remind him again.http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/f...ead.php?t=1122
Old 12-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
RangerSpring

Smile

Thank you for all the comments and concerns. This will undoubtable be a challenging project, but will definitely be rewarding.

I can't speak for ODNR, but unfortunately USACE is not authorized to allocate resources off project (lake) lands and waters. This means that clearing Mosquito Creek and the Mahoning are outside the scope of what we can do. We rely on enthusiast clubs and other entities to aid in supporting these recreational maintenance items. That being said I do plan to donate my time and equipment off duty to help make this a reality.

I do have interest from other groups and individuals that are willing to assist with the cleaning and clearing of the creek. If you are interested in joining forces I encourage you to contact me at William.j.spirng@usace.army.mil or 330-637-1961. I look forward to partnering with you to bring more recreation to our community.
RangerSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #15
JPTolson

Default Property Owner Access

Another major consideration that was faced by the Shenango River Watchers (SRW) when they cleared the Shenango was securing permission of property owners to access the river. I think Hugh Clark from SRW can recite chapter and verse on how significant an effort this was.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #16
mfdanko99

I have paddled Mosquito Creek a lot over the years and it is a landmine of tree's. It makes the Mahoning look very easy to clean.

The worst section of mosquito creek is behind ivy hills condos all the way to up the creek tavern.

From there to the mall isn't to bad. After the mall it is pretty clear up to about 100 yard before Kennedy park, a HUGE tree is down and not sure how to cut that big of a tree out.

From there to Niles Giant eagle is clear. At the Giant Eagle the current really picks up as the creek really get narrow and turns into a whitewater/swift water type creek with very sharp turns that leads to the Mahoning.
The whitewater section is hard to catch at good levels and have to almost scout before running do to the tree's and two small islands.

I have never hit a paddle zero on the creek due to dam control. From Giant eagle down to the Mahoning a 3ft higher is a great level of a nice whitewater/swift water paddled. It is almost to narrow to paddle my 17ft Old town scout canoe threw the sharp turns with a good current. Much easier in my whitewater kayak.

I am in for helping but could use some help on the Mahoning

Mike
JPTolson  (12-27-2017), RangerSpring  (01-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #17
JPTolson

Default Any Progress to Report?

Does anyone know if there was any progress on this effort to clear strainers from Mosquito Creek this year?