Old 07-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
MJHaddle

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2 posts in one

Hi guys and gals. I want to thank you guys for your work in cleaning up our water ways. I float the Mahoning for the most part to fish. I have a project I want to do but don't know how to go about doing it. Mosquito creek from the spillway to the MR looks like it would be an awesome trip, except there is so much deadfall over hanging it. In my mind a chain saw, canoe and time is needed to cut a path, but are there legal ramifications and if not what is the best way to go about it? My biggest northern pike was caught out of the that little creek believe it or not.

My second post is this. I am looking at buying the Old Towne Predator fishing kayak, but since its a lot of money, I want to see one up close or possibly get in one for a while if anyone knows anyone with one. I also have a Old Towne Guide 160 for sale, just a few years old if anyone is interested. Thx, Michael
MJHaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
swampboy62

That's a good question, one that's come up recently in discussions about removing the new downed trees on the Shenango River.

I've removed trees from whitewater creeks for years - just went in and did it. Clearing Mosquito Creek however would be an extended task. There are likely dozens of trees down.

Some waterways have state or federal protection, or lie within state lands. Mosquito Creek isn't protected, but part of it may be within Mosquito Lake State Park land, and more of it flows through Trumbull Metroparks land.

So I don't know of any restrictions - but that doesn't mean there aren't any. You might try talking to the Mahoning River Consortium, and see if any of their staff has a legal overview of the issue.

http://www.mahoningriver.com/

BTW if you like paddling and fishing Mosquito Creek, have you tried taking Pymatuning Creek upstream from the township park in Orangeville?

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Fifthpig

Mosquito creek between Rt82 and Rt422 is my favorite section, secluded and scenic... Too many houses on the lower 1/3 (422 to Mahoning River)... I've only been on the Northern 1/3 once, it was too shallow to travel further than a mile (need to re-visit!!).

I'd gladly help with tree removal, I've anticipated doing so myself, but I'm not going to do it alone (don't wanna be pinned under a tree alone (someone needs to rescue my kayak!!)). Post a message, or email me when you would like to give it a go... I know the manager of a business on Rt422 and she'll allow us to put in there (needs a little TLC (the put-in, not the manager!), but it's do-able)...

Mike (fifthpig)
Fifthpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Fifthpig

Please email me info on the Old Towne Guide 160.
fifthpig@neo.rr.com

Thank you.
Fifthpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
MJHaddle

Default Nope

I have not but I plan to here soon in regards to pymatuning creek.
MJHaddle is offline   Reply With Quote