Old 08-01-2022, 07:33 PM   #1
DustinSW1627

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Presque Isle Lagoons

Hello, Please join the Noel Family and Trumbull Canoe Trails Sunday Aug. 21st for a lovely paddle around the Presque Isle Lagoons. We will meet at a bridge on Fisher Dr. at 11 am. See GPS Coordinates to the launch. The parking will be along the road but this is my favorite place to launch from. Once on the water we will weave out of the lagoons into a small bay. We then will swing out into the main bay rounding the point at Perry’s Monument. From Perry’s Monument we will take a hard right across Misery Bay heading for Horseshoe Pond. Once in Horseshoe pond we will complete a lap around the pond looking at the house boats. We then will head back out into misery bay heading back to Perry’s Monument for a lunch/snack break. After break we will head into the Lagoons to the right of Perry’s Monument. This part will seem like a different world snaking through the lagoons with the chance to see beavers, turtles, eagles, and many other birds. This is an nice 6.5-7 mile paddle that completes a circle. So even though there is no shuttle it is not an up and back. Other then the side trip to Horseshoe pond we will be seeing new sites on the whole trip. I am leading the same trip the day before with the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association and tent camping on the beach that night. You should do this paddle once if you never have.

Dustin 724-301-4751
Dustinnoel@hotmail.com

https://goo.gl/maps/LvLfqubwpwbKgZrp7
DustinSW1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
KenM

Default comments...

Just sayin'... The last time we paddled in the lagoons with TCT it was breezy. The solo canoes were struggling to go forward and getting blown all over.

There just happened to be a Lake Erie seiche that day. The water level came up 3+ ft while we were there. We couldn't get under the bridge at Fisher Drive.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/seiche.html

--Ken

Might not be able to make this trip.

Last edited by KenM; 08-03-2022 at 08:22 AM.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:55 AM   #3
DawnD28

Default Presque Isle

I'm in! Never been there.
DawnD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:13 PM   #4
DustinSW1627

Default Great Day at Presque Isle

We had a great day on the Presque Isle Lagoons today. One Canoe and One Kayak, each with one paddler, gambled the weather man would be wrong and won that bet. We met at the put in and unloaded our boats in a little mist. Once we launched the Kayaker tried to convince the canoe guy to do the trip backwards but the trip leadership committee vowed to stick to the plan. The leadership committee was then called a few names about being stubborn and the like (all in good fun of course). We then continued on as planed and the sun came out to shine on our paddle. We exited the lagoons into a small bay then paddled out into Presque Isle bay. It was a little choppy but not to bad at all. We paddled past Perry’s Monument across Misery bay to Horse shoe pond. Once in Horse Shoe pond we did a lap looking at all the house boats. Once we left Horse Shoe pond we paddled back to Perry’s Monument for lunch and a bathroom break. Once back on the water we reentered the Lagoons for a very quiet paddle back to the cars with no one else on the water. I paddled this yesterday day and it was very crowded so that would be the bright side to the rain scare, we had the place to ourselves. We saw many many birds, including Eagles, Herons, ducks, and geese. At the take out we loader our boats and headed out. I couldn’t resist a stop at beach 8 for a quick, refreshing, swim in the lake. As soon as I got back to my car from my swim the sky let loose with all the water it was holding back. Drove most of the way home in rain but what a great day. Thanks for not making me paddle alone Steve. My schedule is very full the next 2 months but I could be convinced to do this again because I know a lot of people wanted to be there but couldn’t risk the weather with the hours of driving. Dustin
DustinSW1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:37 PM   #5
trjim

Dustin

I was planning on doing this paddle. The weather along with the long drive kept me away. I would do this paddle if you schedule it again.

Jim
trjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #6
Paladin1aa

Dustin

Years ago this was an extremely popular trip for the club with huge turnouts. We usually did a picnic there as well not far from Perry’s Monument. The lagoons are unique and an easy paddle. Lots of wildlife,scenic and protected.

One year while leading the trip I passed a turtle in my kayak and silently pointed down so others could drift by and see it. One of the women reached down as if to pet it. I had to yell NO to stop her. It was a snapping turtle, lol.

Alan
Paladin1aa is offline   Reply With Quote