Old 05-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #1
Ambridger

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Clarion River

Clarion River
Trip Leader- Dustin Noel
When- Monday May 30th
Where-Clarion Forest Canoe Launch - T309, Clarington, PA 15828 (T309 is also called river rd)
This isn't the launch by the ranger station in Cooksburg- It is 4 Miles east of Cooksburg

Time 10:00
Distance- 7.5 Miles
Class I Rapids

Please join Trumbull Canoe Trails and the Noel Family for a Memorial Day paddle down the Clarion River. We will meet Monday May 30th at the first launch on River Rd in Cooksburg PA(gps coordinates will be listed at the end). Pale Whale calls this the 4 mile launch. We will meet there starting at 10 am unloading the boats. By 10:30 we will shuttle the cars to the take out at Gravel Lick. The first half of this trip will be through the Heart of Cook Forest State Park. There is always the chance to see River Otters on the Clarion. At about the halfway mark we will stop at McBeth’s store for restrooms, food, and Ice Cream. Once we are done at McBeth’s we will continue on down the Clarion leaving Cook Forest State Park and entering into a much less traveled section of the river. This section has an eagles nest that is lovely to see. We will make one more stop at Henry’s Dam to look at this 1860 stone dam made for the logging industry. Some of you(my kids and I for sure) may want to dunk your head under the dam to feel the almost freezing mountain stream. This is a very enjoyable paddle that I hope you will experience once.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:00 PM   #2
DustinSW1627

Default Thanks

Thank you Mark. My life with the new job has been crazy busy. Hope to see you all on this paddle.

Dustin 724-301-4751
DustinSW1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
DawnD28

Hope I found the right boat launch on Google Maps. Watch for the red minivan with the Pungo on the roof and flag me down if you see me looking lost.
DawnD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:34 AM   #4
DustinSW1627

Default Great day!

It was an AMAZING Memorial Day on the Clarion River. We had 24 people with 17 boats show up for this trip. We had 4 canoes and 13 kayaks. We had one canoe that had 3 kids in it under 11 years old and they did an amazing job paddling. One was my 10 year Emeline and the other 2 were a brother & sister she is friends with, that have never canoed alone before yesterday day. We met at the launch at 10 am working as a team to get everyone’s boats lined up. The kids swam while we shuttled the cars to Gravel Lick. Big thank you to Dawn for being the shuttle driver. Once on the water we slowly traveled with the current down the Clarion taking in the beautiful scenery. First stop was at the swimming rock (aka to my kids “Daddy’s Rock”). My kids, our friends the Byler’s kids, myself, Mike Newberry, His Kids, and Mark & Jodi’s nephews jumped many times off the rock into the chilly river. Next we paddled on down to McBeth’s Store were those that packed a lunch ate on the bank while others purchase from the BBQ hot sausage, Beef Brisket, Burgers, pulled pork, or pizza to enjoy. Next we all indulged in ice cream cones. We even left some of the strawberry cheese cake flavor for Jodi. After McBeths it is a little more remote and less river traffic. We were able to see the bald eagle, her nest, and a baby bald eagle in the nest. Our 3rd and final stop before the take out was at Henry’s Dam an 1860 stone dam build for the lumber industry. Many members braved the freezing Cold water for a very nice photo op. After the freezing water of Henry’s Dam we had to jump in the river to warm up. Once at the take out all pitched in to get everyone safely off the water and their boats on the cars. I have done this trip every year for quite sometime. The weather and the company of this trip have to make it the best one yet. Thanks to Jeff & Judy, The Newberry Clan, The Byler family, Dawn, Mark, Jodi and the nephews. Thanks also to my Beautiful wife Amy, and my adventurous kids for always being along for the ride that is my life. Dustin

Last edited by DustinSW1627; 05-31-2022 at 09:42 PM.
DustinSW1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #5
mfdanko99

Great turn out.
Glade to hear it was a great trip. Thank you for the trip report