Old 07-03-2022, 07:33 PM   #1
DustinSW1627

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Shenango River Dam to Riverside Park

July 31st after a great weekend of Camping, Safety training, and Club picnic we will be paddling the Shenango River from the dam at Pymatuning to Riverside park in Greenville, PA. We will meet at the base of the Dam at 11 am. We will unload boats and shuttle the cars to Riverside Park. This will be a nice laid back trip down the scenic Shenango River for 10 miles or so. Any questions please call or email.

Dustin 724-301-4751
dustinnoel@hotmail.com
DustinSW1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:05 AM   #2
DustinSW1627

Default Road closed

Hello the road is closed at the dam. The west side is closed completely close you will have to come in on the east side.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:20 PM   #3
DustinSW1627

Default Members Arrested

Has anyone been arrested on a club trip? We had a great day paddling from the Pymatuning Dam to River Side Park in Greenville. We had 11 boats with 13 paddlers. We had 2 canoes and 9 Kayaks. We woke up at camp, started packing up our camp gear, and headed for the launch. Unfortunately the road leading to the launch was closed do to repaving. Several club members asked around and did not get a clear answer if we could still use the launch or not. Several of us risked it and unloaded at the launch. While I was at the launch another unnamed member asked park officials where we were and they told them “the road is closed they can’t been down there”. I feel this tipped them off to our illegal activities. Once everyone was at the launch we quickly got all the cars away from the scene of the crime. Garrett lives in Greenville and was nice enough to help with the shuttle so we would not have to leave any cars in the crime area. My car fit all 8 drivers so we drove back up to the launch in it and Garrett was to drive it back to Greenville and leave it for us. Once we pulled into the launch my kids were waving there hands frantically saying we need to get the car out of here before we get a ticket. Apparently while we were shuttling a park ranger arrived and was ticketing cars within the vicinity of the launch for not adhering to the road closed sign. In our absence there was a member who was sweet talking the park ranger keeping him on the cool. Garrett wanted to socialize but I told him to get moving in my car before I got a ticket. It was too late the Ranger spotted us and came over. Sweet talking started once again from all members. We were informed no more car traffic on the roads the damage was done we were all unloaded. We got on the water without anyone being arrested, no tickets, and had an amazing paddle. We tried one rope swing, Enjoying a nice lunch spot, and enjoying all the maneuvering we had to do around obstacles. A big Thank you shout out to Mike and Ralph for all their help, Stan for taking the lead, and Garrett for Driving driving the get away car. We did have one swimmer but we were able to complete a boat over boat rescue, that we learned the day before. The only fatality was a walkie-talkie. I hope I did not over dramatize this but my kids found it to be most exciting. Also I hope that there are no hard feelings from the member I am picking on that Alerted the authorities to our whereabouts, resolve the issue by sweet talking the authorities, went swimming, and drowned my walkie-talkie.

Last edited by DustinSW1627; 08-01-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:45 PM   #4
JPTolson

WOW!!!!! Really sorry I missed this and all the excitement!
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:34 PM   #5
KenM

Default Shenango Gage

The River gage was at 4.75 ft and 108 cfs for this trip. Trip length was 9.2 miles.

Most folks don't know that this is as low as it gets because the dam is required to release a specified amount of water because it is the water supply for communities downstream. Although a bit more water would be nice, it can be paddled all year.

In past years, when the Shenango River Watchers do their Paddle Fest, they have let out a bit more water... about 5.1 ft (as I recall). It's a very lively flow.

Although we mostly had enough water we had to be vigilant for some shallow areas and hiding rocks and logs. The river constantly twists and turns. There are few places that you can just float for very long. It makes for good practice turning and controlling your boat.

One remarkable thing about this section of river is the surprising under currents. Although fairly shallow and not really fast, you can be paddling along and just have an unexpected current turn your boat sideways or in some direction you did not want to go. I've done this section 8 or 9 times and it always happens a few times.

Another interesting fact is that this section was pretty much unpaddleable until about 2014 (?). Heavy equipment was not possible. The SRW raised money and hired Amish loggers with work horses to walk upstream and cut and drag out the logs.

---KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:03 AM   #6
mfdanko99

I wish I felt better and stayed
Sounds like it was fun and exciting