mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Mahoning River: Youngstown Section Trip Leader- Chuck Miller & Mike Danko
When- July 27th
Where- B & O Station 530 Mahoning Ave Youngstown, OH 444502
GPS 41.102527, -80.657866
Time- 9:30 AM (Time Change from 10 am)

Struthers Dam Portage is a steep walk up the bank then about 50 yards long then have to lower the boats by rope then climb back down the hill using rope. It can be a fun adventure to do when the water is to high to pass threw the dam opening. (paddle day decision )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For members who don?t feel they can do the portage or don?t want to do the portage around the Struthers Dam, or don?t want to paddle threw the opening in the dam. Or don?t want to paddle the 8.5 Mile trip we have a Plan B.

Plan B is starting at the B&O and paddling to the Union Street bridge before the Struthers dam and taking out there.
While Chuck leads the shuttle to Lowellville I will lead members down to the Union Street Bridge so they can have there car waiting for them.
This section is 4.58 Miles long.

The First half of the trip is a nice section threw town that offers flat water and some rapids to make it more of a adventure.

1) Not even a ? mile into the paddle we come to the Marshall Street Bridge rapid.
A Class I+ or easy Class II Rapid depends on the level.
The trick is to aim for the orange sign on the tree then follow the current all the way out to flat water. There are multiple strong Eddie lines that can flip you if you don?t follow the current all the way out.

2) Roughly at the 1 ? mile mark is the Cement Plant Wave Train
The Wave Train is a fun Class I rapid that many of us will stop and go threw several times to play and have fun.

3) Rebar Rapid will be the at the 3.1 Mile mark. This Class I + or easy Class II rapid has one path threw.
You start river right. Right before the water current changes you come river left and follow a path threw the rapid.

4) Right after Rebar Rapid you paddle straight across to River Right and set up for the Iron Bridge wave train. A nice and easy Class I wave train that is smaller then the first wave train.

Those are a brief description of the rapids in the first part of the trip. I hope it helps and we have a big turn out for this great section threw Youngstown.
For Paddlers who take option B you are more then welcome to eat with us at the take out in Lowellville.
235 E. Water St Lowellville, OH
GPS 41.035364, -80.534159

Hope to see ya on the water
Mike Danko
330-766-3129
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
EAR

What's the name of the place you want to eat at ? I'm not sure I'd go into a place that would let people like us in!!!
Ed

Last edited by EAR; 07-26-2014 at 08:01 AM.
EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
warrenski

Melilllo's Tavern Great food & cold beer
warrenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
Dig68

Default Wow

So now I can officially say I went through rapids. Had no idea it would be like that on the Mahoning. So fun but so glad to be with such experienced people. Can't wait to see the videos. Scot gonna be amazed. Thanks for the thrilling day.
Dig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
mfdanko99

Over all we had a good trip down the Mahoning River through downtown Youngstown.
We had some first timers on the river and for this section. Over all we had three carnages. The first was at Marshall Street Bridge for a first timer on a river. We got him recovered and had a great ride down rest of the river until we hit the Struthers Dam.
Part of this is might fault for not looking out for other as well as I should and really thinking everyone can get through if I can. I am sorry for all members on this float for not looking at the situation better.
We had two flip here and took some time for recovery at the dam but luckily we got them recovered and all was ok. I give a lot of credit to a lot of the paddlers who did make threw the dam. Afterwards talking to Ron he would say the chute through Struthers is a class III because of a 3ft drop still with a hydraulic that is still there as we found out. Then you have to go to your left out of the rapid. Again I am sorry if it freaked anyone out or worried them I didn’t realize it was that tough of a rapid. When I looked at it I thought it was a little class II that would be a breeze. I was wrong and sorry for that. Better judgment will be used in the future.
After the dam it was such a pretty float. We saw a bald eagles nest on river right and a beaver on the way to Lowellville. Once at Lowellville everyone had a great time going through the last two rapids on the trip with no problems, some did take on bucket full of water. Thanks goes to JP for setting up and being ready with a throw rope at the Lowellville dam. That is what I should have done at Struthers. Good thinking my friend.
Then most of us were able to meet up with Rich & Patty Allen at the restaurant for drinks and food.
We had 13 total boats (10 Kayaks & 3 Canoes)
Thanks to all for coming and paddling the Mahoning River through Youngstown to Lowellville.

Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 07-28-2014 at 09:44 AM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
Dig68  (07-28-2014)