Old 10-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Questions - Little Beaver 113 cfs 2.61 gage__Oct 14, 2016

K & C have been collecting Paddle Ohio Pins for the past three years. We have acquired three rivers/lakes for this season and need one more before Nov 1. With the current low water levels our choices are severely limited.

I was looking at Little Beaver Creek and see it is a designated scenic river all the way to the Ohio R. Currently gage is 113 cfs, 2.61 ft.

The section of river near the Ohio is pretty wide. I am contemplating launching at the Ohioville Borough boat ramp (SR 68) and paddling upstream a couple of miles. Without me driving there to take a look, can anyone tell me if this is doable ?

Thanks, KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
JPTolson

Very good question, Ken. My GUESS is that you won't be able to paddle up a "couple miles" without getting out of your boat and dragging it to the next pool of water. But this is only a GUESS. How many times one might have to do this would also be a guess. Also, the access point that you refer to is in PA and the Ohio line is about 1/2 to 3/4 mile upriver. I'll be interested to know how it goes it you try to paddle that stretch at the current level.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
mfdanko99

From Ohioville put in / take out going up stream is a mile until you would hit the last rapid of the trip from spruceville to Ohioville. then portage river left and will be a good size portage as it is a longer rapid that goes around a bend, then flattens out. But the current going up stream after that portage will be a work out.
Mike
USGS minimal paddle for me is 3.0 ft Grimms Bridge
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Ambridger

Maybe give Beaver Creek Kayak Company a call. They do rentals and shuttles. I'v seen them launching some folks near Grims Bridge, seems like a small operation. They may be able to give you some insight. 330-843-8303 / 330-383-6567
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
KenM

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how deep (or not) that section of river might be. Didn't have my hopes up. Also, I was not aware there was any livery service available. I will keep that in mind.

The Paddle Ohio Pin started out with only designated scenic rivers and waterways. This year ODNR added 10 state park lakes to the list that have some natural/scenic value. We will most likely paddle one of those for our 4th location this season.

Since we are usually by ourselves we generally rely on a local livery for a shuttle. We were planing to paddle the Sandusky R but found that the livery had been auctioned off earlier this year. We keep trying to do the Kokosing but can't catch it with water or else can't make it when it does. Seems like most of the likely rivers ran out of water early this summer.

-Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote