Old 06-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Cuyahoga River (Kent to Cuyahoga Fallls) Rescheduled to July 19

TCT,
This is the rescheduled trip from May 31.

On Sunday, July 19, the club will paddle the Cuyahoga River, aka “Crooked River,” from Tannery Park, 300 Stow Street in Kent to Waterworks Park, 2025 Munroe Falls Avenue in Cuyahoga Falls. This is a 6.5 miles trip, nearly all flatwater, that will take about three hours at the leisurely pace we expect to paddle. Please pack a lunch for along the river.

The trip will meet at Tannery Park in Kent, at 11:30. Parking here is limited.

***As we have done for this trip on two previous occasions, those who wish to paddle a 1.5 mile section of the river upstream of Tannery Park through downtown Kent will meet at 10:00 a.m. at River Bend Park (41.168789, -81.348057), a small access area on River Bend Boulevard, about one-quarter mile east of Ohio Route 43. The group putting in here will paddle down to Tannery Park and meet those who want to begin the trip at Tannery.

At lower water levels, this upper section through Kent has about a mile of class 1-2 rapids through an interesting narrow gorge that includes the historic dam that once spanned the river in downtown Kent. Paddlers who want to run this section should have good boat control in a moderate current. At higher levels, the rapids turn to class 2-3. We will NOT run this 1.5 mile section if the flow exceeds 750 cfs on the Old Portage U.S. Geological Survey gage. Meet instead at the Tannery Park put-in at 11:30. We will NOT run the section below Tannery Park if the flow exceeds 1,000 cfs. Watch the club website if there is any question whether we will run this section and for any other updates for the trip.

Please call or email JP Tolson at 330-337-7752 or john.paul.tolson@gmail.com by Saturday, July 18, if you plan to attend. Hope to see you on the river!
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
suram

Hi JP, am planning to go for the second half of this paddle. Thanks!
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suram For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (07-16-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)

Dianne and I will be the for the trip.

Bruce
brucea is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brucea For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
JPTolson

TCT,
With a chance of rain in the forecast for today (Friday) and a slight chance on Saturday, we will again need to keep an eye on water levels for the club trip on Sunday. As of this morning it was running at 663 cfs. Please check the message board for any updates to the trip.

Also, spray skirts are recommended for kayaks in the whitewater section between River Bend and Tannery Park.

Hope to see you on the river.

jp
Old 07-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
KenM

Default upper section condition?

I've done Tannery to W.W. at the current gage ~4.2 ft... Nice swift current and a few big waves that you can go through or skirt around.

I'm curious what the upper section might be like tomorrow. Is it more tricky at a lower level, more rocks?

thanks
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
JPTolson

Ken,

See Mike's video shot at 850 cfs to get some idea. Of course, it's running about 200 cfs less than that as of this afternoon. I imagine there may be a little rock dodging, but not a great deal. Yes, it would be more technical/rockier at lower levels.

As of about three weeks ago, there was a tree in the channel just before the whitewater begins. Passage was on the left. See Mike's video shot at 1,100 cfs. I am a little concerned about this and whether it has shifted and whether boats can still make it through with about 450 fewer cfs. I plan to get up there early tomorrow to try to check it out.

It appears from the USGS hydrograph over the last day of so that water is being released somewhere from a lake/reservoir in the Cuyahoga watershed somewhere upriver of the gage. I don't know how else to explain the rise in water level/discharge since there hasn't been much precipitation.

jp

Last edited by JPTolson; 07-18-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
mfdanko99

Also here is a kent at 600 CFS from July of 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kqp...ature=youtu.be

Hope this helps
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
rambler

Default Strainers

There is some discussion in the KeelHauler message board http://keelhauler.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3143 of some strainers in the section above Tannery Park. The latest word there was "passable with caution". You may want to check it out before running it.

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing." -- Henry David Thoreau
[I]
[SIZE="1"]Notice he didn't say anything about kayaking...[/SIZE][/I] :4:
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
JPTolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
There is some discussion in the KeelHauler message board http://keelhauler.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3143 of some strainers in the section above Tannery Park. The latest word there was "passable with caution". You may want to check it out before running it.
Thanks, Jim. Very helpful. Plan to check it out before running it.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:10 AM   #10
JPTolson

Default Trip is on

Trip is on. See those who will start at River Bend at 10:00 and those starting at Tannery at 11:30.

Last edited by JPTolson; 07-20-2015 at 07:07 AM.