Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default EZ-Launch for Kayak and Canoe

It was mentioned at the picnic that Newton Falls was considering a new "mechanical" launch. There is one of these in Lorain County Metropark, French Creek Reservation. It is located on French Creek about one mile upstream from the Black River. We tried it out last year and it works great. You could get spoiled. Not sure how to post photos on this site, but.....Check it out:

lhttp://ezdockusa.com/products/ez-doc...yak-and-canoe/

Ken and Cheryl
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
onbohio

Thanks Ken. That looks like it would work really well.

I just called the City Manager for Newton Falls to see what kind of progress they may have had on this, and if a group like the Friends of the Mahoning River could help out in any way. When I hear back I'll let you all know.

This type of device could be very useful in getting people on the river if it is something that can be used on the Mahoning.
onbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
mfdanko99

For my own study, I am contacting EZ Launch, I am going to try to get a price list of the launch they have.

Like Tom said: Friends of the Mahoning and TCT could again work together and see if we can make it work on our river.
Not only there but maybe Girard?

Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
onbohio

I talked to Zach about this yesterday, as well. Right now it might not be workable, but I have an idea that might make them workable.

One of the concerns with this system is that it would stick out into the river naturally, and therefore be subject to impact from trees in high water/storm situations.

So what if (and yes, this what if increases the cost and logistics significantly) we were able to create a shallow bay with a channel to the river that could house the docking system.

It would only work in locations where you would not increase the risk of flooding outlying areas, but there is already one place where all you would need is to cut the channel.

Packard Park has a small pond adjacent to the river that could house the docking system. The elevation of the land around the pond floods whenever there is high water already. Cutting the channel which would be on the backend of a bend in the river would not increase flooding.

Actually the natural bend in the river might protect the system if installed right on the river in that area.
onbohio is offline   Reply With Quote