Old 10-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
radius

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

i'm a noob and wanted to try this trip. i live close by to the put-in. how does the vehicle arrangement work for take-out? i'm thinking of bringing my 11 yr-old son (been canoeing before) and my brother (kayak). we've done trips before, but not on the Mahoning.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #12
suram

We usually work out the shuttle with everyone that's there. Leave some folks with the boats while others take the cars to the take out, then cram into a single vehicle (or 2 or 3) back to the put in. We make sure everyone gets back to their vehicle in the end
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suram For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (10-08-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
JPTolson

Default Beautiful Autumn Run

Many thanks to Jessica Hoffart and Mike Danko for leading 16 paddlers in 15 boats, I think, (three canoes and 12 kayaks) down the lower Mahoning from Lowellville to Covert's Crossing on a beautiful and warm autumn afternoon. The Lowellville gage was in the 2.8 range, up a couple inches after some overnight rain and the water temp hovered in the upper 60s. We saw kingfishers, great blue herons, mergansers, and a couple bald eagle nests. For lunch we stopped at a new boat ramp in PA, three miles from the put in. There were a couple swims, but with the warm air and water, it was all good. It was another great day to be on the river!
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #14
KenM

Default Mahoning_Lowellville to Covert Rd 10-8-17

This was our first time on this section of the Mahoning. We were pleasantly surprised at the rural nature of the river and with the swiftness of the current even though the we were told the water level was on the low side. The two chutes were fun. I had more fun on the downstream of the chutes, testing my skill (or is that my luck?) crossing the big waves in a boat not intended for such activity.

Having a pleasant fall day, somewhat cloudy and warm, and a nice group of paddlers added to the trip. Ken and Cheryl had a good time. I also checked that at noon Sunday the Lowellville gage was at 2.89 ft (541 cfs).

Thanks again to trip leaders Jessica and Mike. And dinner afterward? At least "I" had a good dinner after the paddle.... even if it did take an hour to get served. On the plus side... nobody got hurt when Cheryl went to the kitchen to see where her dinner was!

For your amusement or future reference, below is a map of the paddle and shuttle of this trip that I made for my records. [ jpg may be a bit fuzzy. I have a clear pdf if anyone wants a better image ]

TCT_Lowellville to Covert Rd_10-8-17-1.jpg

Last edited by KenM; 10-10-2017 at 08:30 AM.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
jimbo  (10-10-2017), mfdanko99  (10-10-2017), suram  (10-10-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #15
mfdanko99

On a beautiful autumn day with higher than normal temperatures we had a great paddle. 16 paddlers 15 boats (12 kayaks & 3 Canoes)

We did have some swimmers put they were working on improving there skills to control the kayak better so I see it as a great learning experience.

This section is so different than the others on the Mahoning, some class 1+ rapid, some ripples, nice flat water and for most of the time a nice current. Also different scenery than other parts of the river with rolling hills and as you leave Lowellville.

We did stop for lunch at the new so to be open launch in Lawrence County on River Rd.

The level was 2.89 ft at the Lowellville gauge and I have said it before; the lower the Mahoning is the better the paddle is.

Thanks to all who came as Jessica & myself enjoyed a great day with great friends.

The only downside was I picked a restaurant again and it turned out to be a long wait that was really annoying; but the food was OK. I just have bad luck with restaurant.

On a side note Donelle Russell from Lawrence County let me know a new ramp at Coverts Crossing will be starting soon and hope to open before the new year.