Old 08-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default You know you had a good time when...

You know you had a good time when you get home from a weekend of paddling... And you have to repair TWO boats!

Our ABS kayaks are tough but somewhat flexible. With all that flexing that was going on trying to crawl back into my kayak Saturday , the adhesive that holds the cockpit rim to the kayak top let go on the right side. Nothing broke but I did do some creative taping for the Sunday paddle just to stiffen it up a bit.

The surprise was this morning while unloading Cheryl's kayak. I looked up and there was 4" crack with sunlight coming through on the right side. What? On inspection there was a fine deep scratch about 18" long just at waterline. Cheryl said she had bumped into a couple of logs Sunday on that side. Must have started to crack it open. The deep scratch did not happen this weekend. I suspect it happened on the last trip thru Rebar Rapids? At any rate, I'm blaming Trumbull Canoe!

I bought some (very expensive) marine adhesive/sealant. My cockpit rim is now "curing". I glued in some 1" reinforced strips in Cheryl's boat and will do a bit of cosmetic work when that cures. Both were easy fixes. In a couple of days they'll be ready to go again. ---Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #2
DustinSW1627

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Sorry

Sorry to hear that. Well with that carnage look at the bright side lots of good stories.
DustinSW1627 is offline   Reply With Quote