Old 02-27-2022, 10:29 AM   #11
djstone

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Red Moshannon Creek

This looks like a lot of fun.

Tom and I are planning to come to this just as spectators. Still a little too chilly for us. We would be happy to shuttle or support the racers in any way. Don't forget there is an awards banquet after the race where you can celebrate and pick up your trophies!

Let me know if we can be of assistance in any way! See ya there!

Darla
djstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:11 AM   #12
mfdanko99

OMG
Tom and Darla that would be amazing if you could help with the shuttle and take us back to the starting area

I also will be heading out Friday night and staying overnight

Jessica and myself will be staying at the red roof inn in clearfield right off of interstate 80

Last edited by mfdanko99; 02-27-2022 at 07:13 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:07 PM   #13
djstone

We would be happy to assist in any way we can. Tom said we could even bring out the trailer to load boats on. I'm not sure what the organizers have in mind but we can do whatever makes the most sense.

We took a ride out there today. We didn't get to the put in. The road was very icy and snow covered so we turned around. We went to the take out next which is on Rt 53 at a bridge. There is very little room there for parking. A very pretty area but the creek does look very shallow.

On our way back to I-80 we went past a car that had it's blinkers on with a smashed windshield. We went past but it was hard to see in the car. I got a weird feeling and asked Tom to turn around. We parked and Tom walked back to the car. There was a couple inside and the driver had blood on his face. A chunk of ice had flown off a semi going the opposite direction and smashed their windshield. The driver was able to get off the road and stop the car. The wife was on the phone with 911 and shortly two other cars stopped that had seen the whole accident and gave chase to the truck driver and had come back to assist the car. Once the fire department came, we left. Then as we neared the Clintonville exit heading back home, traffic started to back up. From what we surmised, a semi had clipped the back of another semi with a box trailer and tore the tin back on the trailer and the load (some sort of hardware) was spread all over both lanes. Sheesh! What a weird day. I told Tom the angels must have be riding with us today and keeping us safe!

Let me know what we can do and we'll plan for that.

Take care,
Darla
Old 02-28-2022, 05:21 AM   #14
Ambridger

Wow! That made for quite the adventure.

Jodi and I are both going out, but Jodi will not be paddling, so she can help shuttle. Don't know if we'll need the trailer, but maybe just another driver. It's so nice of yinz to offer. I am going to try to remember to bring my kayak cart, as it seems carrying some distance may be expected.

Your report of low water is interesting, although if it warms up a bit, more of the mountain snow may melt and turn things the other way.

Darla / Tom, it's not too late for yinz to register and join the fun.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:48 PM   #15
djstone

I posted earlier but now I don't see it. Darn it.

As much as I would like to be in a competitive race, we are going to sit this one out. This creek flows north. Wrong on so many levels. However, I will be delighted to watch the participants.

From what I read, the paddlers need to set up their own shuttles. I just don't know how this will work with the limited parking area. We'll figure it out once we're there.

I'm guessing we will leave home early Saturday morning. We might hit up the breakfast buffet the Grassflat Moose is offering for $10.00 from 7 - noon. The Catholic church is also having a fish dinner Fryday night. It is halfway between the put in and take out. Looks like a good amount of thought and organizing has gone into the event.

I'm excited for it. Hopefully it won't be snowing that day!
Darla
Old 03-02-2022, 11:59 AM   #16
trjim

I just registered for Class K1 Men, Recreational Short Boat. Looking forward to this event. I will be able to tryout my new spray skirt and wet suit on 3/20, they will be necessary for this paddle.

Jim

Last edited by trjim; 03-09-2022 at 02:07 PM.
trjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:19 PM   #17
Ambridger

Darla / Jim : Mike & I got rooms at the Red Roof Inn in Clearfield for Friday evening.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:27 AM   #18
djstone

I contacted the organizer about parking and shuttling. His reply:

Thanks for checking in. Parking is very limited at both the start and the finish areas. I would recommend parking as many extra vehicles as possible at St Severin social Hall which is where the awards ceremony will take place. St Severin is also conveniently located halfway between the start and finish. If you are bringing a canoe trailer be aware there is limited space to turn around a trailer at the start line. It will be impossible to turn around much past 9:00 a.m. on race day so set shuttle early.

Thanks for your support we appreciate you coming
Old 03-09-2022, 02:08 PM   #19
trjim

I was going to book a hotel room however I decided against it. It is about a 2 hour 15 minute drive for me. I would rather get a good night sleep in my own bed and leave at 6:30 am, than get a poor night sleep ( I never sleep well in hotels) in Clearfield. Let's hope we get good weather for the event.

Jim
trjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #20
djstone

Default Red Moshannon Creek Race Day

Hello Racers!

Race day is right around the corner! I expect everyone is in tip top condition to bring home trophies for the Trumbull Canoe Trails Paddling Club's trophy case! No pressure, just do your best and don't forget your helmets!

Not sure what time we will arrive. It all depends on how closely Tom follows my instructions and directions. My cell is 724-977-3453 and Tom's is 724-977-3776. I'm thinking that you will have to park at the Catholic Church fellowship hall across the road from the church after you unload. We will probably hang out there as the put in is gonna be busy so just call us or text when you need a lift. Put in will most likely be muddy so be prepared to get a little mud on the tires.

Looking forward to Saturday!

If you need anything at all, give us a shout!

Darla (724) 977-3453
Tom (724) 977-3776