Old 08-05-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Removing Adhesive from a Royalex Canoe

Does anyone have experience removing old adhesive from the inside layer of rolayex vinyl? And can they recommend what to use without damaging the vinyl and inner layers of ABS sheets and foam. A D-ring that helps to hold in a styrofoam block under the bow deck plate separated from the bottom of the boat and I need to install another D-ring but need to remove the old adhesive first, I think.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:32 PM   #2
KenM

Default toxic advice

from Ken's list of solutions: Depending on what it was removing old adhesives can be easy...or NOT! What ever you try, rub a tiny drop on a cloth somewhere on the plastic. If it turns green not good. If not, I doubt it's going to hurt.

Things to try (in increasing nastiness): canola or olive oil. alcohol, wd-40** or other light oil, mineral spirits, lighter fluid/naptha, goo-gone, kerosene, starter fluid**, carburetor cleaner**, gasoline, acetone.

Depending on what the adhesive was you might try heating lightly with a heat gun and scraping off.

Rub on more sticky tape and pull back off sometimes pulls old adhesive off with it.

** = gets used on a lot of sticky stuff around here.

---KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:29 AM   #3
JPTolson

Thanks, Ken. Plenty of things to try. I don’t remember what the adhesive-to-be removed is...probably something like Vynabond, but who knows for sure?
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote