Old 09-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
onbohio

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 9/29/13 Mahoning River Girard Dam to B&O

We are meeting at 10 a.m. under the bridge in Girard on the southwest side. Heading west on Liberty street you make a left on Carlton.

This was about 7 miles if I remember correctly. One portage at Division Street dam. It was an easy portage.

Also, Joel and I talked to Pete Carderio, the zoning inspector in Girard today. We talked to him about a possible launch site in this area under the bridge. It sounded like we should be able to have access to some city owned land for a launch. Joel and I are meeting him at the site next Wednesday.
onbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onbohio For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
onbohio

I have gotten numerous calls interested in going tomorrow. I have not been in charge of the whole shuttling process before. I was thinking that if we meet at 10 to unload our gear at the put in site then wait say 15-20 mins or 10:20 before we start taking our cars to the B&O. Then shuttle back to the put in to "cast off" about 11? Is this how it's usually done? If you'd rather respond by phone-330-307-8206.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
JPTolson

Tom,

Generally, and without a trailer to carry a bunch of boats, it's easiest and less confusing to meet and unload boats/gear at the put in, drive all vehicles to the take out, and shuttle back to the put in with as few vehicles as possible as you are planning to do. This is all contingent on parking availability at both places. However, you will want to make sure someone stays with the boats at the put in while most are running the shuttle.

Usually not everyone on a trip will be familiar with the roads in the area. So when traveling the shuttle route, it's important that everyone understand that they are responsible for the vehicle BEHIND them. That is, if a car must stop for a traffic light, the car in front of that car should pull to the side of the road and stop to wait for the car(s) stopped for the traffic light. This should trigger a chain reaction of vehicles from back to front in the caravan stopping to wait for the cars stopped at the traffic light.

Return to the put in as few vehicles as possible once everyone is parked at the take out.

But remember, no matter how well you have planned your shuttle, there will ALWAYS be someone who wants to do things a little differently. Just smile, relax, and you will figure it all out. Wish I could join you on the trip tomorrow.

Last edited by JPTolson; 09-29-2013 at 06:01 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
onbohio

Thanks JP. We had a great trip. 2 canoes and six kayaks, 11 people all together. I'm going to download some photos right now.