There were two canoes, it was very nice trip
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Shenango Paddlefest Water Levels Revisited

Shenango Paddlefest Water Levels Revisited

I need to revise my above statement about the water released for this event. Apparently they do NOT always have a small release for this event. This was the 6th time Ken and Cheryl did the SRW Paddlefest. It was the lowest level that I remember. Actually the river was at a normal level of around 4.78 ft (115 cfs). I was told once that this was the minimum cfs the dam could release do to water requirements downstream. The good news is that this section can be paddled at this level. There are a few logs and rocks to avoid (or scrape). It's just quicker and more fun when there's 5" more water.

Looking back on my notes, of the 6 times we've attended this event (out of 10 events) the water was higher for 4 paddles.

It was still a nice paddle.

Ken

ps... K & C were planning to do the Kokosing River with a group from ODNR Scenic Rivers. The planned trip was supposed to be 6 miles. When I checked the map it was only 3 miles. The organizer had some bogus river mileages. Too far to drive 2 hours for a 1-1/2 hour paddle. We elected to go the Shenango instead.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #13
KenM

Default More Shenango

Cheryl talked to the other TCT paddlers while I was on the bus. We paddled a bit later. The water level was lower than I had hoped for. Actually it was at the normal summer level controlled by the dam. There seemed to be a lot more downed trees in the river since it was cleared out 7 years ago. A normal accumulation I guess. The trees have been cut back and the river kept open. It was still a nice paddle, just better with more water. It was a hot day with temps in upper 80's.

Some of you TCT paddlers may have seen the large inflatable plastic Pink Flamingo and Yellow Dinosuar at the launch. They launched after you left. They were each being towed by a kayak. A questionable watercraft in my opinion. Hours later when Cheryl & I saw them again they were pulled over. The Yellow Dinosuar was only about 1/4 of it's original size. I think it was about to become extinct. Fortunately for them they were maybe a mile or less from Riverside Park and the Pink Flamingo had room for 2 riders.

Of note... A second canoe / kayak livery ( name? ) has opened in Jamestown. And also we heard that Carried Away livery has opened another store up at Pymatuning Lake park. Hopefully there's enough business to support them all. This does promote the idea though that a Water Trail can bring people in and be an economic improvement to an area while protecting our natural resources

At Riverside Park Hugh told us they had a suprising 425 paddlers signed in for this event, the largest ever. Previous high was about 230. A very warm day, there large numbers of summer "floaters" on the river clogging it up in places. At one point I counted 20 just in front of us. We stopped for lunch and waited for the crowd to disappear downstream.

KenM

Last edited by KenM; 06-26-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #14
KenM

Default message from Hugh D. Clark (Shenango River Watchers)

This messege was relayed to TCT by Hugh's request.....

Shenango Paddlefest June 2016

Wow, what a Paddlefest! Our previous high count (over, I think, 6-7 events) was 230 or so paddlers. Yesterday, we registered 420!!! Plus another 40 +/- from the outfitters (Carried Away Rec mostly).

We ran out of buns for Sloppy Joe's, chips, mac salad, cookies, napkins, and plates. Made high speed runs to Dollar Gen and G. Eagle for reloads...

The music from bluegrass band "Well Strung" was terrific. Teens from Keystone School, doing community service, hauled out kayaks. Buses from Frye's Transportation ran extra trips.

Note the Pymy Park management released as much water as they could, being (mechanically) limited by dam repairs. We'll probably be similarly constrained by work again this Fall, affecting not only water control but access as well. However, by the end of the year, the work should be finished and we'll be back to normal.

Thanks to all, from the (exhausted) Shenango River Watchers!

- Hugh D. Clark