Old 05-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #11
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Yesterday (5/8/19) I scouted the low-water bridge immediately downstream of the Route 164 bridge over the Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek in Lisbon. The low-water bridge is NOT EASILY VISIBLE from the Route 164 bridge. So I pulled into the business on river left and, with permission of one of the employees, walked down to the bridge and to the creek beneath. The employee stressed NOT to drive across the bridge because its condition is questionable.

Little Beaver was running 3.99 on the gage at Grimm's Bridge, and I estimate there was six feet of clearance from the water to the bottom of the bridge. There was an eddy immediately upriver of the bridge on both sides of the creek. The eddy on river right would probably remain with an increase of a foot or two in the water level. The one on river left might wash out. The current was moderately swift. Assuming that the clearance will change in direct proportion to the river level gage reading (and that may not be a valid assumption), clearance would be approximately five feet with a river level of 5.0, four feet with a level of 6.0, three feet with a level of 7.0 etc.

There was also a piece of wood sticking out about four feet from the bridge structure on river right, about one to two feet beneath the bottom of the bridge. So steer clear of it.

It would be possible to carry around the bridge if necessary from the eddy on river right, though putting back in will be a bit rough and steep. The bank is cemented for dozens of yards down river from the bridge with a very rough aggregate.

The moral of the story is to be aware and, if possible, to scout the bridge before putting on the river, especially if the water is above 5 feet and rising. Having good boat control for a quick eddy turn, if necessary, will also be helpful.

Last edited by JPTolson; 05-09-2019 at 04:03 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
mfdanko99

I talked to Ron today he scouted about a mile hike on the creek he found three to four portage's in the first mile of the trip because of that he is not going to paddle I also will not be paddling as I am fighting bronchitis this week

Last edited by mfdanko99; 05-10-2019 at 03:35 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
Greyhounds2

Mark and I are planning on coming if the creek conditions are acceptable. Let us know what time we are meeting. I'm really not familiar with the Teegarden Bridge but I'll google it. We did a section of the Little Beaver from Lusk Lock to the Pioneer Village in the park and it was a walk through the rocks and took us forever. It was quite beautiful with lots of wildlife probably laughing at us dragging our kayaks.

Kathy and Mark
Greyhounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #14
JPTolson

Keep in mind that this is a trip sponsored by the Columbiana County Park District, not Trumbull Canoe Trails. So the park district is making the call on the trip. They are supposed to post something on their Facebook page tonight. I will try to post anything here that the park district posts of Facebook.

Late this afternoon (5/10) the gage is reading 5.22 and rising. Anyone who goes on the trip would be wise to scout the creek underneath the low water bridge just downriver from the Route 164 bridge or ask the trip leader for a report on it.

Last edited by JPTolson; 05-10-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #15
SOS57

Default Beaver Creek Run

I am planning to be there in the morning. As long as we have 2 vehicles from our group we can do our own shuttle. I had talked to Mike at Sundays trip, but looks like he won't be there now. Hopefully we can work something out.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #16
mfdanko99

I'm going to wake up early and if i feel decent I'll probably come down but if I don't feel good I'll stay home

Been really wanting to do this section for a long time
Old 05-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #17
JPTolson

Default Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek

I'm planning to be at the Teegarden Bridge parking lot at 9:00 regardless of what the county park district decides. (They have not posted a trip status update.) So that makes Stan, Kathy, Mark, me, and possibly Mike from TCT that I am aware of. There should be enough water, but as Mike mentioned, Ron said there will be some wood to carry around.

JP

Last edited by JPTolson; 05-10-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #18
KenM

I had hoped to do this section but need the time to pack for an upcoming trip.

-Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #19
Greyhounds2

Mark and I have decided that we are not going to come because of the various portages. Mark has had a very tough week at work with some days having only 1-2 hours sleep. He needs relaxing and fun and this doesn't sound like it's going to be that in spite of the good company. Hope you all have a good time.

Kathy
Greyhounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #20
SOS57

Default Beaver Creek Teagarden

Well JP and I made it. We decided to stay with the park's run. 2 from TCT and six for the park. Grimm's was at 5'2" and water level was perfect. Took about 2 1/2 hours, including time to drain a few damp kayaks. All in all another fantastic day on the water. AND MIKEY MISSED ANOTHER CHANCE. See you all on the river.