TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Mosquito Creek-Ice Breaker

Mosquito Creek (Ice Breaker)- Trip Leader Mike Danko
When- Sunday March 22nd Time-12:30PM
Where- Kennedy Park
497 Brentwood Blvd, Niles OH 44446 GPS 41.200777, -80.752366
Parking will be at Fairhaven School of Niles 420 Lincoln Way, Niles OH 44446
GPS 41.203927, -80.754072

Once on St Rt. 46, depending if you are coming from the North or South you will turn on to Andrea Blvd.

Go a Short Distance and the road will go to a T intersection.
Make Right turn on to Brentwood Blvd, it will dead end at Kennedy Park.

To get to Fairhaven School follow same directions, but turn right on to Difford Dr. Go Short distance and Lincoln Way will be to your left and will dead end at Fairhaven .

TCT makes its return to Mosquito Creek for the first time since I been part of the club.
Mosquito Creek is a slow moving narrow creek that will allow us to do an up and back type paddle. Depending on weather we can make it long as we want or short as we want. This section has us going threw a neighbor hood but also offers some hidden features. If we want we can go all the way up to the East Wood mall and down to Niles High School
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting idea for a trip. I've been on the creek a bit upstream a couple of times, but not further down.

If you go upstream, under the route 422 bridge, you'll be entering a nice section of creek where it goes through the woods west of the Mall. This is a surprisingly isolated area, with areas of swamp and woods surrounding. This time of year you might get a chance to see some migrating waterfowl pausing on the creek.

If you were to go upstream of 422, at the second set of power lines to cross the creek (where the creek makes a 90 degree right turn) you'll be paddling along the edge of the North Road Nature Preserve, 140 acres of Trumbull Metroparks. This is the area where I've been building trails through the woods for the last 3 years. If you were to land on the left (west) side of the creek at that second powerline you would be right at the edge of the phase III trail that we're working on (and hoping to finish) this year. As a matter of fact there is a good chance that I'll be back there working this Sunday while you're paddling!

Don't know if the conditions are still the same, but it used to be clear to paddle from Up the Creek down to the dirt jumps beside the creek just south of route 422.

Good luck with the weather Sunday. I'll keep my eyes and ears out for paddlers when I'm working on trails.

Steve Z

PS - One of the items on our 'wish list' for the park is an access trail to the creek for paddlers, with 2 boat racks along the way to make the 1/4 mile carry in more manageable. Maybe some day!
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
onbohio

Is there any chance of moving the ice breaker to Saturday? Forecast I saw today says 58 for Saturday, 37 for Sunday.
onbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #4
mfdanko99

I thought about it, but I have to work Saturday, and Preston Fosters Calling hours are on Saturday.

Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Fifthpig

I agree with swampboy62, North from 422 is a beautiful float, it's almost entirely wooded and very secluded feeling, south from 422 is primarily backyards (I preferr to see trees rather than houses!). Its approximately 4 miles from 422 to rt82, and another 4 miles further north to the Mosquito lake dam... unfortunately (as of last fall) there are many trees down blocking the way and you could only paddle just a couple miles before having to portage around trees. I'd be very willing to meet anyone who wants to get in there and start chopping up some trees in order to make the creek more manageable, I think it would make a great addition to the clubs "regular" floats.
Fifthpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)

Dianne and I will be there.

Bruce
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
Fifthpig

I will be there
Fifthpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #8