Old 01-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Mill Creek

I was lucky to get out for a hike in Mill Creek Park on New Year’s Day and had a chance to observe the creek between the suspension bridge (Silver Bridge) and the Lake Newport dam. It’s a shame that the creek within the park is off-limits to paddling. Although it would require some carries around Lanterman’s Mill and probably one other dam, it looks like it would be a fun run.

With snow and rain the previous day, the creek was up a bit and looked navigable. There are a number of rapids along this stretch, mostly class 1 and 2. But there is also a solid class 3 a couple hundred yards below Lanterman’s Mill where the creek makes a sharp turn to the right.

Parking at the dam is ideal for a short carry to the put in. Taking out to carry around the falls at Lanterman’s Mill would be a little tricky as all I could see was a small eddy on river left just past the covered bridge across the creek. Putting back in below the falls would mean a carry over the covered bridge and down to the mill and then a short slog through brush alongside the mill to the creek. I didn’t hike below the Silver Bridge, so I didn’t check access and carries further down stream.

It made me to wonder what the process might be to petition the park to paddle the creek and whether or not some kind of permit system might be workable. In all likelihood it would be a long process. Anyway, just prattling here on a rainy Saturday and day dreaming about paddling Mill Creek. Does anyone know of any previous efforts to open the creek in the park to paddling?

Last edited by JPTolson; 01-04-2020 at 09:00 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
SOS57

I've looked at this since I was in high school. Talked to Ray numerous times. Supposedly impossible to get permission even for 3-4 kayaks or canoes. But I agree it would be a very special trip if the club could get this pushed through.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
swampboy62

Same here.

I'm curious what gives a county park system the right to close a navigable waterway to the public.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
KenM

Default Just Go For It !

I've hiked the trails from Ford Center to Lanternman Mill many times. I don't ever recall any signs that said "No Paddling" (althought that might be in the fine print somewhere).

I would contend that the issue here is "asking permission". A (space) morally upstanding, law abiding "canoeist type person" would probably like to be safe, legal and have proper permission to paddle this stream. They may never get the chance!

On the other hand... The typical?? (a-moral) kayaker might just elect to "go for it". Gosh Officer, I didn't see no signs. And there's a chance that by the time someone notices and calls the Swat Team and they arrive...you will be loaded up and heading to the bar. AND, when it comes right down to it... How much could the fine be anyway?? Might be worth it!

John, I bet if you ask around "someone" in this club knows what the fine is. ha-ha-guffaw, gaffaw, snort.

Bottom line... This might not be a good trip to put on TCT club event schedule.

----KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
JPTolson

Default The rules

Here are the boating regulations. Note that they say nothing about Mill Creek itself, just that boating is permitted only on lakes Glacier and Newport between March 1 and December 1. They don't answer Steve Z's question. And with Ken sort of egging one on, a run down Mill Creek could make for either a high point or low point of the 2020 paddling season (or both), depending on the reaction of the gendarmes! And I'm still scratching my head over legal boat lengths!
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
BOBK

Let's go all out with this. If we are going to abuse the serenity of The Green Cathedral let's go big! Why stop at kayaking? Horses and off road four wheelers and dirt bikes on the paths. Overnight camping with a fire. Unlimited horsepower on Lakes Glacier and Newport. Open season for hunters year round. Get rid of the 25 mph speed limit on the roads. Park anywhere and dig up any tree or plant you like. Who needs rules and regulations governing public land anyways?
Old 01-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
KenM

Default I never saw any rules...Officer

Well, I for one, am going to pretend I never saw the Park Rules.

I scanned thru that document and a few things jumped out at me...

1) No unsightly crafts! Wow. That could eliminate a few club members.

2) Designed for racing! John, better not put any fancy decals on the Chrystler Newport!

3) No docking unless at designated locations. K & C have often gotten out at the upstream end of Lake Newport (up by the islands) and walked up to the restrooms. We might have NO CHOICE but to take our chances with that offence.

---KenM
-----------------------------------------
To possibly answer Steve's question... It's that same old problematic Ohio law. You have the right to paddle any "navigable" waterway BUT you can't get out of your boat without trespassing. My guess is that the park is NOT public land but is owned by some entity that operates for the benefit of the public. Might be a problem trying to portage a dam (or two). Just guessing here. -kenm
-------------------------------------------------

edit__John, I agree. High or Low point.... It would still make a GREAT story!

Last edited by KenM; 01-07-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
jimbo

Going to be watching local news at 6:00 and you guys will be in orange jump suits with XXL on the back!
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:03 AM   #9
mfdanko99

Red face

I tried paddling below lanterns mill once along time ago (2009 ish).
I had a officer watch me.
Soon as got ready to launch he asked me how I would like to pay mine fine?
So I picked up my gear and to the mahoning I went.

I have always wanted to run it. I imagine it might be a mini slippery rock creek
Mike

Last edited by mfdanko99; 01-08-2020 at 06:16 AM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
KenM

Default I knew it!

Mike,

I suspect that was before you belonged to Trumbull Canoe? If you tried it again you could bargain for a club discount!

John, What did I tell you.

Jimbo, When the time comes, post a link to the news story.

ha-ha-ha, guffaw,guffaw, snort -Ken