Old 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
KoasterKeith

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Kayak Registration in OH/PA

I am relatively new to the Kayaking. I have a question. We live in PA and have got launch permits for our Kayaks in PA. However, If we wish to use them in OH, do we need to get and equivilant OH permits? If so, how do you do this?

Thanks
Keith
KoasterKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
rambler

Default Boat Registration in Ohio for out of staters

The short answer is, no you don't need to register your boat in Ohio if you live in Pa. That would be the case even if you didn't have the launch permits (which, as I understand it, are not required even in your state unless you launch in a state park). Having the launch permits might prevent you from getting stopped and checked though.

Technically, if you were to paddle over 60 days (I think that's/year) in Ohio, you would need to register your boat here, but the reality is that the Watercraft people aren't going to bother you once they realize your from Pa.

Jim
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
burnz34

Default PA is confusing.

My understanding of the PA launch permits is that you only need it if you are using the boat ramps. What if you just put in of the shore? And I also recently found out from an Army Corp Ranger that this rule is only valid during the open campground season (at least on the Shenango).

Rambler- you mentioned "getting stopped and checked". What would they check for if they did stop you? Other than the registration stuff and lifejacket is there something else they would check you for in a kayak?
burnz34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
rambler

Default Getting checked

I've never been stopped on the water, but I have been "checked" launching my boat. I have a canoe with the "alternative registration" sticker on the inside of the hull, so there are no numbers visible from the outside. Twice I've had watercraft officers come up to see if my boat was registered. After they saw the sticker they were happy, they didn't ask to see the registration card (which I do carry with me).

Other than a life jacket and registration, I don't know what else they would be looking for. A fishing license if you were fishing, I suppose. There's nothing else you're required to carry on most Ohio waters. If it's after dark, I believe you have to have some kind of light. In a few places (those under federal jurisdiction) you also have to have some kind of audible signal (e.g., a horn or whistle).

I guess if you were on a lake with a HP limit and the motor you had attached to your kayak exceeded that, you might have some explaining to do....
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote