Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
clipper1

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2011 scheduled event idea's

Greetings members and Guests,

Thought I would post a few Idea's for scheduled events for this upcoming year as our yearly planning meeting is right around the corner. Weather and water conditions played a big part last year, but all have to agree, their were a couple of paddling events that stood out above the others for various reasons.

1.) Paddling in the dark intentionally, was new to me this year until I went on the TCT's moonlight run. Way too much fun, even with the "storm from hell".

2.) Overnight Camping with the people who are the TCT, is an experiance all to itself. I for one could handle another weekend on the Allegheny were we can count on good water levels mid summer. Maybe the section from Tidioute to Tionesta with a lunch stop.

3.) There is a lot of very good fisherman and photograpers in this club, who would love to participate in some sort of TCT fishing, or photgraphy tournament where bragging rights are at stake. More than a few "competitors" in this club.

4.) A TCT club picnic and paddle, is always a winniner. When some sort of theme is introduced, such as costumes, or water cannons, or some other distraction, the characters of the TCT, and there are plenty: always show their full colors.

5.) I would be happy to host another "Paddle for the Pasta Paddle" on the Grand River again this year (spring), if there was favorable response from TCT members.

River's too paddle: Upper Cuyahoga from Hiram north to rt 322.
** Clarion (Cook's forest area)
French Creek (below Sagertown)
Tionesta Creek (above Kelletsville)
** West Branch Susquehanna (below shawville)

** possible overnighter.

Just my wish List, but would love to hear from other members on their favorite paddling places and Ideas. See ya in the Spring...

Rich
clipper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
JPTolson

Thanks, Rich, for officially launching the "hot stove" paddling season. Winter is a great time for daydreaming about spring rivers, when the steely blue water is up and running swift and clear and the sun is climbing higher in the sky. What a neat set of ideas to rev TCT up for the coming year.

The fishing tournament sounds like a blast. I used to take part in one with buddies on the North Fork of the Shenandoah River each year. (Usually came in last.) I think you may be the quiet ringer of club photographers judging from your album of Grand River shots. They are gorgeous and superbly composed. And I really want to paddle the Grand this year since I couldn't make the trip last year.

Here's my 2011 paddling wish list.

1. West Fork of Little Beaver Creek from Gavers to the Middle Fork and down to Beaver Creek State Park. Too much probably for a day trip, but at least from Gavers to West Point.

2. North Fork of Little Beaver. Would love to try running the Tubs if water levels were ok and it looks doable.

3. The Grand. Section run by TCT last year. And post paddle pasta sounds terrific!

4. More of the Allegheny come summer once the smaller streams get too low. Would love to float it for smallmouth.

5. Wouldn't mind a doing a couple other class two runs on small streams
early in the year. Neshannock Creek sounds interesting.

6. Any PFD (no, not the kind we've been talking about on the bulletin board and at our meetings)–a Personal First Descent since I'm still learning about all the streams and rivers of this area.

7. For a full moon and clear skies on the Midnight Paddle OR doing the Midnight Run at the peak of the Perseid meteor shower in August.

8. To convert one kayaker to a t-gripper.

Last edited by JPTolson; 01-14-2011 at 10:11 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
clipper1

You have some pretty lofty goals for next year JP, especially converting a "butt" boater to a "T gripper". Good luck with that. The North Fork of the little beaver sounds interesting.
clipper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
mfdanko99

Default Middle Fork of Beaver Creek

I was already in the works for a trip on the Middle Fork of Beaver Creek. A different section than we did last year.

I want to do more the the Beaver Creek, and so does Larry.
In March Stan, Tom, Larry & I are going to do the north fork from Darlington PA to Negley OH.

I want to lead two trip down the beaver creek this year. One of the trips will be the same as last year. From Spruceville to the Ohio River take out; The Second trip is from Elkton ( County rd 419 or it is also called middle beaver creek rd) There is a state launch there. From Elkton we would go down past Lusk Lock and past were the west meets the middle all the way in to the State Park. I would either pull out there or go down to Spruceville. Not to sure on that idea yet.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
mfdanko99

Smile Other Idea's

I love the idea of the Neshannock Creek, I have been reading up on it and have found out it has class two rapids and ones as well

The other I have been thinking of is a true midnight run. I was thinking the Mahoning river. From Nweton Falls rotary park to Canoe City and do breakfast there.
I of course need to go down and check for tree's, Last year I made it down, but there were two spots I need to clean out.

What do you guys think?

Also check out a site I just found. riverfacts.com
It gives great take in's and out's with rapids in Ohio and other states.

Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
JPTolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper1 View Post
You have some pretty lofty goals for next year JP, especially converting a "butt" boater to a "T gripper". Good luck with that. The North Fork of the little beaver sounds interesting.
I was figuring on some help from all the other single bladers.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
jerry lyda

Default West fork

The west fork is a great run on the beaver. You put in on Stubenvillepike rd.
jerry lyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
EAR

Default wish list

I like the Clarion River and have done most of it. But there is still one section I have not done, from Johnsonburg to Ridgeway. I hear it's nice. Recommend kayak or solo canoe. Might be my early spring trip.
A club run on the upper Clarion from Arroyo bridge to Hallton. There are places to car camp in this area free of charge. A lot of people in the club have not been above Cook Forest.
French Creek Cochranton to Utica. Just as nice as the section we have done.
Here's an early creek for ya JP, Sandy creek from Raymilton or Polk down to the Alleghany with take-out at Fishermans Cove.
Club run on the lower Clarion from Callenburg down to the Allegheny. Use Parker Canoe shuttle.
And don't forget Conneaut Creek before May.

Last edited by EAR; 01-14-2011 at 11:57 PM.
EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
BOBK

There are some great potential trips being posted. A plea to possible trip leaders...consider scheduling Sunday trips to enable those of us that may be working Saturdays to make more of the paddles.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
EAR

Sorry Bob. As President, I'm making Sundays "canoe only" days. Grip the "T" or get left behind ! I have an extra canoe if you need one.

Last edited by EAR; 01-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.
EAR is offline   Reply With Quote