Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Grand River 2017

Grand River-Trip Leader Mike Danko & Jessica Hoffart
When- Sunday April 2nd

Where- Hidden Valley Park 4872 Klasen Road, Madison, Ohio 44057

GPS 41.741058, -81.048470

Time 11:00 am

Hidden Valley Park is just off of State Route 528 just south of Interstate 90 in Lake County Ohio. It's hard for me to give directions with out knowing your location for this paddle. Some Members come up St Rt 11 to interstate 90 while other cut cross country on other state routes like 422 to 528, or go up 11 and cut across at Rt 6 to 528.

We know it is April when we head back north to paddle the Grand River. As always, weather and water will dictate what section we paddle.
There are two sections of the river TCT likes to paddle.
Harpersfield Park(St Rt 534)to Hidden Valley Park (St Rt 528) This section is a hair over 8 miles.

This section is a little calmer than the second with two good class I+ rapids. They are right by each other; The first is a straight forward paddle through it and go. The second is like a S style rapid that can push you into the bank if you do not angle correctly and paddle.
After that is a nice paddle with lots of little ripples.
I been using the USGS Gauge in Painesville to gauge what sections we can do. On average the 528 paint gauge is about a foot lower than the USGS gauge. Good example was 2013 when the USGS was at 2ft and the painted gauge at 528 was 1ft. We did this section with that low amount with some scraps and bumps as we call it getting bony.

The second section is from Hidden Valley Park to Masons Landing near Painesville. This section is a hair over 9 miles.
This section has many wave trains for those who likes action, but most wave trains can be avoided by going the opposite side of the river. Many wave train form from the waves hitting the shale wall and crashing back into another wave making a hay stacks as many paddlers call them.
In 2014 we did this section when the USGS gauge was at 3ft and the painted gauge was at 2ft. A great and easy paddle we had that year.

Both levels are very scenic and fun to paddle, But at high water both sections can be very hard and technical and possibly hazardous.

Please check on the tct website for updates for the paddle. Also please post if you will be coming to the paddle for we can have an idea who is coming. This helps the trip leader to keep an eye out for paddlers so we don't take off with out them.

Mike Danko
Also you can call or text me at 330-766-3129 if you have any questions

Last edited by mfdanko99; 03-26-2017 at 08:07 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
mfdanko99

I do have youtube video from 2014.
One of my first set of video so please excuse my early video's.
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHWaVJj3iLE&t=232s

Part2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPwgoPCwD-E&t=11s

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AJiQPTHZ9g

Part 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozp6EuGHCFo

Mike
Old 03-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
zzrufus1

Steve Lukco will be attending along with my buddy Chuck. We are meeting at 11:00 at the put in, or departing the put in at 11:00? Please confirm time.
zzrufus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
mfdanko99

I am hoping we all can be there by 11 and get started on the shuttle around 11:30.
Thanks for posting that you are coming.

At this time the Lower Section is runnable. That is from hidden valley to masons landing.
USGS at 3-30 1pm is 3.44ft, so about 2.4ft at 528 bridge. :)

Thanks again steve

Mike

ps currently I have an order of 7 decals with kayaks for wayne, and 8 decals with canoes on them for me.

Last edited by mfdanko99; 03-30-2017 at 12:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
zzrufus1  (03-30-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
mfdanko99

Question

Grand River Report
As of Friday morning the USGS gauge is 5.23 in Painsville and rising. I am watching it very closely and hope it will level out or drop some.

Several years ago we did the lower section at 5 ft on the 528 bridge. I thought it was a great trip with no trouble. Not sure if I will go that high or not.

Will post more as we get closer to Sunday

Mike
Old 03-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
richpinky

Passing thru seven feet at Painsville gauge 4:45 pm. 4/31
richpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
mfdanko99

Unhappy Grand Cancelled

In past years we would have killed for more water on the Grand River. I was hoping for a little bit of rain to keep it above 4ft.
I never saw this coming. As of Friday night the Grand is at 7.5ft at USGS and rising. At 8 ft it will be flood stage.

Sunday isn't a total wash. I am looking at four other possibilities.
I am watching the Shenango River from Pymatuning dam to Greenville PA.
This section is damned controlled with no major contributes until after Greenville.

In October 2015 we did this section at 5.95 and I have notes saying it was a great trip. As of Friday night it is 5.24ft USGS gauge but climbing.

The other section is the Beaver River. Start on the Mahoning in Edinburg Pa and take out at Bevington Boat Launch just north of Wampum PA. Once you leave the Mahoning and enter the Beaver River it is wide and pretty straight to wampum.
I did this section back in 2014 at 8ft in a canoe with no problems
As of Friday night the USGS at Wampum is 8.21 but rising.

The other two possibilities and most likely to happen is paddling at Newport Lake in Mill Creek Park in Youngstown. The lake was opened for the season March 1st. I called and talk to an official and said we are more than welcome to paddle it.

The last option I am thinking of and can't believe I am is the northern section of Mosquito Lake. Put in at St Rt. 88 and paddle under the causeway up to Jan's campground and back. That is my last choice.

Part of me wants to relive the 2011 Beaver Creek trip of a USGS gauge of 8.9 ft. One of the best trips I will ever have. Not sure who else would be up for that side trip? It was crazy high but crazy fun. Jerry Lyda has some great pictures from that paddle in April 2011.

I will keep everyone up to date and hope we all can get in to a boat on Sunday as it is calling for a great day in the High 50's

Mike Danko
ps any other idea's let me know
330-766-3129 call or text or email me
at tctnewsletter@gmail.com
or mfdanko99@yahoo.com

I will send another email out tomorrow afternoon and see what might work.

PS thank you to JP for getting me in the habit of keeping notes on past paddles so I know what to look for. THANK YOU

Last edited by mfdanko99; 03-31-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
KenM

Default Upper Cuyahoga / Pymatuning Creek (Kinsman)

I've heard that when the upper Cuyahoga floods (basically flatwater) you can paddle from Eldon Russell Park downstream to Bridge Creek and then up a side stream to Snow Lake. Or you just paddle through the woods. I have wanted to do this for years but was never able to catch it flooded (when weather is warm). I was hoping it would come up with this last rain but I don't think it will make it.

As best I can tell the gage at Hiram needs to be over 950+cfm ( 3.60 ft )

As of 4-1-17 at 9am it is 651cfm (3.09 ft) going up but slowing.

Does anyone have any experience here or know anyone to ask?
==============================================

Pymatuning Creek (Kinsman) is up. Is it paddlable ? Or still a log jam ?

-KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
mfdanko99

Red face

I never tried going up a side stream on that section of upper cuyahoga. I have always done up and back to 422.

Just talked to Walter who lives on the Pymatuning Creek. Says it is up, but a up and back isn't a good idea. He thinks 88 down to orangeville would be doable or from there farm to 88.

He and his wife might try going down to 88 this afternoon. i asked him to call me and see how it was.

I will be honest I am pulling for the Shenango River at Pymatuning dam. They have closed off the dam and allowing it to fall back down.
Currently at 4.98 ft at 11 am.

I have alway heard good thing from members who have done it in the past.

Any feed back would greatly be appreciated on a paddle we can do.

Mike
Old 04-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
KenM

Default Shenango @ 4.80 ft

The section from the dam to Greenville (9.5 mi) is always a nice paddle. The normal level is about 4.80 ft which I've been told is the minimum they are allowed release. It's ok to paddle at that level but it's a bit more fun at 5.1/5.2 ft as the current is a bit more lively.

I'm in the middle of a brake job on the van. Groan. Gotta get it finished.

Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote