Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Pine Creek - 2015 Side Trip

Dianne and I are planning a side trip to Pine Creek, the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon for the days of April 16, 17, 18 and coming home on Sunday the 19. All members are invited! We will be camping at the Kenshire Campground which is located near Gaines, PA on Rt. 6 and is located on the upper Pine Creek. This is the same campground used by club members for the 2014 trip, led by Ed Rigby.

On Friday the 17th, we can run the 17 mile gorge to Blackwell. We will be using Pine Creek Outfitters to shuttle us back to our cars, for a fee of course. On Saturday, the 18th we can do the 8 mile section on the Upper Pine from Gaines to the public access area. We will try to do the shuttle ourselves. After Saturday's trip, you can head for home or spend the night. The choice will be yours.

Look up Kenshire Campground. If you tell them you are with the club, they will try to group us together. So bring your tent, camper, pop-up, or rent a camper off the campground and let’s have a good time, like we did last year!

If we get up there early enough on Thursday, some of us may want to do the creek from Galton back to Kenshire Campground. The Galton launch is about 5 or 6 miles up from camp. It's supposed to have a nice class 2 in it. Those that want to go would need to arrange a shuttle. I will post the GPS points and directions to the launch at a later time.

Please note that all members will be responsible for making their own camping reservations with the campground. If you are interested in renting a camper from the campground, please post to this forum, so members can team up together for a reservation.

Kenshire Campground
112 John Deere Lane
Ganes, PA 16921
814-435-1311
570-439-3206 - Preferred number at this time

Sites not located on Pine Creek
Dailey - $30.00
Includes water/electric

Non-Creek Side Camper Rental
52.50 + tax/night
Includes heat/electric/water
Sleeps 2/4. Call Campground for details on how many beds and bed sizes.

If you have any question concerning the campground facilities and the non-Creek Side Camper rental or camper sleeping arrangements, please call the campground.

Pine Creek Outfitters
5142 Route 6
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-3003

Trip date: Friday, April 17th – 17 miles – From Pine Creek Outfitters to Blackwell - 5 to 6 hours for the trip. Pack a lunch.
Departure time from Outfitters: 10:00 AM. Pick up time: 5:00 PM.
Shuttle: $12 per person + $5 per boat.
The outfitter would like me to make the shuttle reservations on April 12. So, please let me know ASAP.
This is a cold weather paddle, dress accordingly. Wetsuits can be rented.

2014 Trip Review
By
Ed Rigby - Trip Leader

Good time on the Pine last weekend. I'll try to be brief. The campground thing worked out well. We were all together and close to the creek . We were able to do 2 trips from camp. On Thursday 4 of us went up 4.2 miles and paddled back to camp. Fun ride! A solid class II and several I's and we were back to camp in less than an hour!! The next day was our 17 mile run thru the canyon. Water level was at 3.7ft for that day. The first 3 miles are the flattest water of the trip as you float the top of the mountian. The GPS said we went 3.3 miles the first hour. The next hour we traveled 5.2 miles. The 2 biggest rapids, Owassee and Split Rock were hoot!! Big waves, big rollers, front end crashing through the water, on my knees pulling the paddle hard to keep straight. Solid class III. Then it seemed like a mile of smaller wave trains. Our group did great. The 2 tandem canoes of Bruce and Dianne, and Erin and Barry worked really well together. We seen a few who didn't make it. We made the halfway stop, 8.5 miles, in 2 hours. A long stop and then finished up the other 8.5 in about 2.5 hours. Beautiful scenic creek the whole way down.

Trip Photo's - http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/f...hp?albumid=222

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktxTJqjAjw

If you have any question you can me (Bruce Ambrose) at 724-384-8165, post to this forum or e-mail me at bea59@comcast.net

Last edited by brucea; 03-13-2015 at 11:16 AM.
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Trip Cancelled

After talking to several club members, I decided it would be best to cancel this trip and hope for a return to Pine Creek in 2016.

Bruce Ambrose
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote