Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
rayn

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Would You Canoe Down Mahoning?

Trumbull Officials: Would You Canoe Down Mahoning?

http://www.wytv.com/content/news/loc...veFNmDUOA.cspx
rayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Dogsled

They tried it in Youngstown. It didn't get too far. The problem is is even though it's wooded area, it's a very shallow wooded area outskirted by urban life. In Y-town it spelled disaster and they shut down construction. Hikers & bikers getting robbed (run out of the projects, thru the trees, rob somebody, if not worse and run back home....all in under 20 minutes. There's the first pavilion area that was burned down with a car under it and a guy with a plastic bag over his head inside. The floating canoe dock is still there though. They find stolen, stripped cars there regularly. The problem is they put the pavilions and docks in the hidden wooded areas to give you the effect of the wild. I can take anybody down to the remaining dock if they want to see what an urban water trail can end up looking like. After seeing what happened in Youngstown why would Warren ever think this was a good idea when it has been a proven failure. At least they did get a chance to throw away a million bucks before they backed out.

Al
Dogsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
EAR

It's obvious you have never been on this section of the Mahoning thru Trumbull County. This is NOT the Mahoning thru Youngstown! From Pricetown to Canoe City the river is mostly wild.We use this section often and have even gone as far as Perkins park. No one was mugged! You also don't understand that this group was founded with the just that goal in mind, to get this water trail established. I would encourage everyone to take the survey because we need more access in this area. I would love to see them get started on Swift Park.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Dogsled

Sorry, The survey says, Newton Twp to Warren.
Dogsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
jerry lyda

I think it is a step in the right direction.
jerry lyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
JPTolson

Although I'm usually always in favor of things like this, it would be nice if the county provided an explanation of what designation as a water trail would mean in the way of specific action. We can all imagine improved access on existing public land, for example, but does it also mean land acquisition for additional access, painted gages on bridge abutments, dam removal, etc. In other words, is there some sort of overall plan now in place that establishes priorities or does that come after designation?
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
EAR

There was a thread started about "Mahoning as a water trail" and there was a meeting in Newton Falls in late December that I could not attend. Mike and Tim posted they were trying to go but I have not heard from them. Maybe some of these questions were answered there. I know Zac Sevette of the Metro Parks has been working hard on this. We will try to get him to our planning meeting to give us an update. This water trail has been in the "planning" stage for 35 years now!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Tim

Mike and I did attend the meeting in Newton Falls. Besides the two of us , there were a couple of Newton Falls council members, and another gentleman from a canoeing group from PA. Zac did a good job of presenting what the county is promoting. The parts of the Mahoning under discussion are all parts that our club now regularly use. The proposed water trail would start at Foster Park and include Newton Falls Park, Braceville Preserve MetroPark, Thomas Swift MetroPark which is a new park scheduled to open this year, Canoe City ,that we are all familiar with, Burbank Park and end at Packard Park in Warren. The trail will cover approx. 23 miles and have 6 put-in/take-outs with improvements to the put-ins for easier access where needed. I apologize for not putting something in earlier and I hope this helps the overall discussion and clears up any misconceptions about the water trail. One of the council members ( I think he was a councilman, I'm really not sure) was sure this was just a land grab for the county. Anyways, I hope this helps. See everyone at the party.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
JPTolson

Tim,

Thanks for posting a summary of the meeting that you and Mike attended regarding the proposed Mahoning River Water Trail.

The proposed water trail and what it would mean are also described in the 2009 Trumbull County MetroParks Comprehensive Plan.

jp
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
mfdanko99

Thumbs up The Mahoning is GREAT

The Water trail would be great, Like tim said it's what we already do, but with more area's for take in and out. Plus two emergency takes out if need.

The one park, Thomas Swifty is right by the Labrae baseball field where I held a trip, and I only had good feed back on that trip.

From Foster to Newton fall is mostly wooded and lots of green on the banks, execpt downtown newton falls. It's still clean, but you still see stuff.

From there to Canoe city is 95 percent woods and fields and very peaceful and pretty.

From Canoe City to Packard isn't bad. Yes is is Urban, but in the many years I have canoed it I never had trouble. We did this section this summer as well, and I plan on it next year, but I want to pull out at burbank park instead of packard. Becuase after burbank the river gets real wide and really slows down.

The Section of Mahoning in Y-town is great. We start at mill creek and go all the way into PA. This year alone I have been down this scetion so many times with the club offical runs, and with Chuck Miller. Never had trouble, the one spot to take out is now better due to a new bridge that was built before you hit the damn in struthers.

You can barely tell your in Y-town, there are lots of green on the shore and you site so far down in the water no one knows you there. Plus from mill creek to struthers there are three great rapids to play in. Specially the Marshall street bridge.

I am Proud to kayak/Canoe the mahoning and I bet if you ask more members in the club who have done it; they will agree.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote