Old 03-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
jimbo

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Tionesta Creek Primitive Overnight Camping

April 18th & 19th

Load the boat and pack your bags and come join us on this early spring trip that is one of my favorites. Tionesta Creek is in the heart of the Allegheny National Forest and is well known for brown trout and smallmouth bass fishing. This is a pristine creek that needs to be run between 1.7 to 3.8 feet as indicated on the Lynch Gage. If the river is too high it will be rescheduled as soon as the water is runnable. The trip will be from Mike De's property on Duck Eddy Lane to Kellettville Bridge about 27 miles with camping midway.
Email me with questions and for the meeting place, time and directions.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03017500

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-.../Tionesta.html

Last edited by jimbo; 07-25-2019 at 02:02 PM.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
zzrufus1

Default Brother needs a kayak

Hi all. I am planning on attending this trip. I already let Jimbo know. My brother would like to go, but has not secured a kayak yet. I was wondering if anyone going has an extra boat he could use. He is a big boy, boat capacity would need to be in the 300-350 lb range. Please let me know if there is anyone that would be willing to help out. He is planning on buying a kayak, so any tips on a boat for a larger person would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Steve Lukco
zzrufus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
jimbo

The weather and creek level looks great for this week. We will try to get a campsite close to Logan Run and make the short hike to it again this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LR.jpg (93.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Fifthpig

Cant wait !!

Steve Lukco, does your brother still need a kayak? I have a 12' Necky I can bring if he still needs a boat to use. please let me know prior to Friday.

If anyone has Ron Eells phone number please contact him with the put-in location (Kellettville Bridge off of rt 666), last I heard he was planning on going, but needed to know the "who, what, when, and where"
Fifthpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
zzrufus1

Default I'm Back in!

Fifthpig, my brother would be very happy if you let him use your kayak! He has no equipment though. What will he need to get/bring to be "legal" in your boat?

Jimbo, I got out of the commitment I was in, so I am now going again. I assume you are following this thread, so you now know how to prepare the shuttle with the Lukco's in attendance. Please let me know if you need anymore info from me.

As this will be my first overnight trip with TCT, is there anything out of the ordinary from a normal camping trip I should prepare for? Thanks for any and all advice.

Very much looking forward to a GREAT weekend kayaking and camping with the TCT!!
Old 04-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrufus1 View Post
Fifthpig, my brother would be very happy if you let him use your kayak! He has no equipment though. What will he need to get/bring to be "legal" in your boat?

Jimbo, I got out of the commitment I was in, so I am now going again. I assume you are following this thread, so you now know how to prepare the shuttle with the Lukco's in attendance. Please let me know if you need anymore info from me.

As this will be my first overnight trip with TCT, is there anything out of the ordinary from a normal camping trip I should prepare for? Thanks for any and all advice.

Very much looking forward to a GREAT weekend kayaking and camping with the TCT!!
Great! If you will help with gathering firewood for the campfire and bring extra beer that would be great, we do have room in our canoes to haul it. I do have a high float PFD that should fit. Be sure to bring lots of extra warm clothes should anyone go swimming.

Last edited by jimbo; 04-15-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: lko
Old 04-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
zzrufus1

I'm good with all of that... Was wondering about beer. I figured I was gonna have to go with whiskey in my wine skin!

Saw this on another thread. I used to fish this area quite a bit years past. It gets QUITE crowded this weekend...

"Might want to rethink Raccoon Creek
Raccoon Creek is a stocked and approved trout water in PA. This will be the first weekend of Trout Season in PA. As such the stream will be teaming with anglers both in and out of the water. I forsee many conflicts with other user groups to plan an outing for this weekend in PA Trout waters. $.02"

redntall74

Not sure how everyone else feels about it. My guess is there will be a lot of people camping and fishing the Tionesta as well.

Last edited by zzrufus1; 04-14-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
Fifthpig

Steve (zzrufus1),
I've got the boat and a paddle, Jimbo has a the PFD, other than that all your brother will need is his camping gear.

The kayak has a dry-well to store clothing and such, and some elastic strapping on the front to hold down whatever does not fit in the dry-well. Although the Dry-well has remained dry in the past, using dry-bags for your gear is never a bad idea.

Mike (fifthpig)
Fifthpig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fifthpig For This Useful Post:
zzrufus1  (04-14-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #9
jimbo

We are a go for this weekend with a sunny Saturday with highs in the 70's. See all paddlers at 9:30am.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
richpinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
We are a go for this weekend with a sunny Saturday with highs in the 70's. See all paddlers at 9:30am.
Pinky and I will see you Sat. 9:30 am
richpinky is offline   Reply With Quote