Old 06-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
dakotamakiya

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 4th of july paddle

I know it's not that close but I wanted to put out an invite for the Susquehanna river. I'm planning for a 40+ miler above Harrisburg Pennsylvania. Right now its just rogue and I and we are going to use blue mountain outfitter in Marysville for a shuttle.
dakotamakiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
mfdanko99

If I wasn't on call I would join you, but I have to stay near Y-town for work. Please give us a report on how it goes.
Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
dakotamakiya

Well it was a great 4th. My hometown river the Moodna creek was up and I got the call from my brother that a trip was needed. We ran it twice and enjoyed the new features created by hurricane Irene. Probably 3-4 solid class 3 rapids and nonstop excitement in-between. Friday had me driving for the main event, a float on the historical Susquehanna river. I put in and did 6 miles to an island campsite. Next day was close to 30 miles on the canoe. The river was around 7' high and has a minimum of 3' to float. Rogue and I saw about a dozen bald eagles and various other birds. Yes rogue did jump out of the boat in pursuit but it proved futile. She slept well at night. I finished the float on day 3 at Marysville pa by passing the statue of liberty tribute and class 2 rapid. I would suggest the trip to anyone interested in island camping and someone immune to poison ivy. Great trip and even better history lesson about anything from canals to ferries. Next is the Delaware over thanksgiving. Just let me know if anyone interested. ill work on some pictures of the trip but email me at mfbrady3@gmail.com if it doesn't work out.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
JPTolson

Thanks for the trip report, Matt. Sounds like a really good experience seeing all those eagles.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
mfdanko99

Talking

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the report, sounds like a great time. Thats so cool you made it to your home river and did the other trip as well.

One day rogue will get a bird than you will be in trouble, Remember the allegheny she almost got those geese.

Glade to hear you made it back safe.
Mike
Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
dakotamakiya

The eagles were very impressive and are really quiet for being such a huge bird.

Rogue was basically crying to get out of the boat. The one time she did fall out was hysterical. She went head first and did a front flip. When she surfaced she was swimming as fast as I've ever seen.

The moodna creek back in NY is a great paddle. It would compare to having the Connie have 7-8 more rapids like roster tail. Good times.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
mfdanko99

Sounds like it is a step up from the connie, after tonight it might be out of my range
Mike