Old 12-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default The Paddling Season in Review

The Paddling Year in Review

Personal High Points and Low Points
Fellow paddlers,

Before tying the bow on another year of paddling at the Procrastinators’ Christmas Party next month, I thought that the time between Christmas and New Years would be good for reflecting on the high points, low points, humorous moments, and any other notable events of the 2010 paddling season. I’ve listed mine below. Perhaps some of you would like to share yours as well. I would love to read some from others’ perspectives.

jp

Low Points

Missing the Grand River, Presque Isle, and Allegheny River Foxburg trips. It’s always disappointing not to be able to make a scheduled club trip, even more so when it would be a personal first time run like each of these would have been. Maybe next year!

Turbulent weather. It seemed like there was a period where high winds, high water, and thunderstorms, or at least the threat of them, coincided with scheduled trips for the Grand, Shenango, Mahoning, and Midnight Paddle. But one thing I learned as thunder and lightning harassed us at Pointview Park last July is when Tom, Sue D, Stan, and Larry show up, some part of the show will go on regardless of the weather!

Knocking off Tim’s rudder mount. While trying to help Tim avoid a carry around tangle of river-wide wood on the Mahoning’s Foster Park to Newton Falls run, I accidentally knocked off a piece of his kayak that held the rudder in place. Always good-natured and a gentleman, Tim brushed it off as no big deal.

Screwing up a shuttle. After making a turn on the shuttle route, I committed the cardinal sin of not waiting for the vehicle behind me (it happened to be Ed) which had disappeared from my rearview mirror. As a result paddlers in at least six vehicles wandered needlessly around the western Pennsylvania countryside looking for the takeout on the lower Mahoning River trip. As punishment I will write one hundred times, “Drivers are responsible for not losing sight of the vehicle BEHIND them. But if they do lose sight of the trailing vehicle, they must slow down or stop along the side of the road to wait for the trailing vehicle to catch up as long as it is safe to do so.” Without a doubt, this was the lowest of the lows.

Ticking off Ed. Following my final rant on the PFD discussion in the TCT online forum, Ed chimed in with comments that made no pretense of his frustration over the issue. The tenor of his remarks made it absolutely clear that this was END OF DISCUSSION!

High Points

Chili Bookends. What a great way to begin and end the paddling season–enjoying bowls of chili outdoors after the icebreaker trip on the Tionesta (thanks to Sue D and Tom) and the traditional season-ending Chilly Chili paddle at Canoe City (thanks to Ed, Patty and Rich, and Sue R).

Paddling the Allegheny for the first time. Although many folks prefer the intimacy of smaller streams and creeks, there is also something majestic about large, powerful rivers. The trip from Buckaloons to Tidioute certainly provided the sense of a grand, stately, imposing, and beautiful river.

Getting to better know the Mahoning. Since 2010 was only my second full season of paddling in this area, I had yet to discover most of the Mahoning River. Four of the five official club Mahoning runs this year were new to me. Especially surprising was the stretch from the mouth of Mill Creek to Lowellville. It is delightful and far from what I imagined might be a riverbank lined with miles of brownfields. What a treasure in our own back yard! It looks like the Mahoning is a well-kept secret.

Snagging a picture of Mike and his dad on the river. From discussions with Mike, it was clear that his father did not like to pose for the camera or even be included in candid shots. So the pressure was on when Mike asked me to get an action shot of him and his father on the Mahoning River trip that began at the ballfields in LaBrae. I was fortunate to get a fairly decent shot (see picture 11 from the June 27 trip on the Mahoning in User Albums), and it was a great feeling to learn that Mike later downloaded and framed the image.

Trip photos. The season didn’t begin with intent to take group shots of all paddlers on club trips. But after the first couple, it became clear that posting photos of trip participants on the club website was generating some interest. It’s a neat way to document and remember club outings and a good way to showcase to potential members that TCT is about enjoying the great outdoors. Thanks to everyone who was so cooperative.

Incidentally, I counted 186 paddlers for the 12 official club trips that I was able to attend this year. Not bad!

Last edited by JPTolson; 12-26-2010 at 10:58 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Dogsled

Default New to the site

JP, great highs & lows. Let me list mine as a lone paddler.
LOWS;

Finding this club in the middle of winter and not being able to meet any of the members.

HIGHS;

Fishing so many great lakes in Ohio and neighboring States from my canoe.

Just being in my canoe...30 years and my 15' aluminum Grumman still takes me solo, fly fishing in comfort.

The invention of the MP3 player so I can fish for days and never listen to the same song.

Finding this club.

Oh BTW, I live in Youngstown. I heard about a club in Trumbull County for years, just never wanted to get involved because I was more the fisherman than canoeist. I like the fact you like to canoe the Mahoning...now we just have to get thru this winter to paddle together. I do my 3 mile run along Newport every morning (live close). Love to see the seasons change and the surroundings go from winter to summer. I'd never put my canoe in that polluted mess...BUT there are so many nearby waters to paddle and I think i'd like to do that without just going to fish.

Hope to meet alot of paddlers.
Al the 'DOGSLED'
Dogsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
JPTolson

WHOA Dogsled! Another T-gripper for TCT! I think the double bladers are gettin' a little nervous hearing about another canoe joining the club.

Thanks for sharing your highs and lows. It's always interesting to hear others' perspectives. Sounds like your canoe has seen lots of water. Keep an eye on this board for information on the Procrastinators Christmas Party next month.

I used to use my canoe to fish the Potomac and North Fork of the Shenandoah, but mostly to go from place to place to then go wet wading, using a spinning rod for smallmouth, sunfish, rock bass, etc.

jp
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
clipper1

Default High's and Low's

Welcome Dogsled,

High's:

Every TCT event that I attended was a definite high. The Tionesta Creek to begain the season was awesome and so was the overnighter at Buckaloons on my birthday. Foxburg on the Alegheny is now one of my favorite places. Paddling after dark has become one of my favorite things to do. Watching the "McGyver" brothers save the day with their knowledge and inginuity, when they weren't using their "cowboy" skills. John Paul's skill with a camera; and no JP, you do not have the market cornered on Ticking off Ed. Most of all, the comradery and generosity of other members freely giving of themselves on club events because they want to.

Low's:

Missed out on a half dozen TCT events, mostly those on Saturday's, because of conflicting work schedules. Only a couple of Canoe camping trips; also because of work. Foul weather on a couple of other possible paddling day's. Lost my sense of humer and reacted badly on this site (while being teased by a couple of butt boater's) also because of too much work. Is a pattern developing here? Did not get my grandaughter, 22 months old, out on the river after buying the appropriate size PFD. Was not able to fish out of my canoe this whole year.
clipper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Dogsled

Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to meeting you all.
Dogsled is offline   Reply With Quote