Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Mahoning/Beaver River Trip

Sunday the 20th Jessica and myself did a scouting trip for the Beaver River trip on Sunday the 27th. The put-in on the Shenango River side is not an option as much of the bank has washed away and very hard to access in a safe manner with canoes & kayaks.

I have been watching the Covert Crossing access site very closely this past month. Every time I stop there are no pumps in the water due to Hill Corp Energy CO. You can see where the pumps where at but that is all gone and everything has been clear for the last three weeks.

With that information Jessica and myself headed over there and it was clear and tons of other boater/fisherman putting in the river.
I am going to move the put-in to Coverts Crossing for the trip.

Mahoning River/Beaver River-Trip Leader Mike Danko

When-Sunday August 27th

Where-611 Covert Rd, New Castle, PA 16102
On some maps the same road will come up as Brewster Rd
The Put-In is in Edinburg Township with a New Castle Address

GPs 40.996341, -80.415268

Time-10:00 am

Directions from Rt 224.
you can access 224 from the Ohio Side or PA off of Interstate 376/422

-Once on 224 look for West Washington Street, Almost directly across from YESCO Electrical Supply Co.
-Follow West Washington St for 1.8 Miles.
-Sharp Right Hand Turn on to Covert Rd.
-Follow Covert Rd over the Train Tracks and then over the bridge that crosses the Mahoning River.
-Once across the bridge look to your left for a rock/dirt drive right before another set of railroad track
-Turn Left and unload gear.

I will have maps to the take out at Bevington Boat Launch 201 River Road, Wampum, PA 16157

With the new put-in the trip gains some distance. It is now a 10 mile paddle. From the put-in the first 3.8 miles are a slow current to Mahoningtown. After that the current does pick up with spots that do slow down here and there. Many little riffles that might be a class 1 rapid at best. We will be on the Mahoning River for 4.5 mile before it joins the Shenango River to form the Beaver River.
Right after the point were the Shenango & the Mahoning join we will stop at Shaw Island for lunch. That will be about the five mile mark for the trip.
After West Pittsburg the beaver river has a Allegheny River feel as it widens up.
This is a great paddle for all skill levels.
If it warm out we will make several stops to let everyone rest up. Almost all area to rest at are nice easy rocky area's to stop at.
Bring plenty of water and sunscreen.

Since I have been in the club (2008) this will be the first time TCT has done this section of the Mahoning and Beaver River. I encourage all who love the Mahoning to see where it ends at and enjoy a nice paddle.

Mike Danko