Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
LT721

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Beaver River question

Has the club or someone outside of a club trip ever gone on the Beaver River in PA? I cross it when I drive the turnpike and always thought I would like to check it out.
LT721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
EAR

Hey LT, try contacting D. Witowski from our members list. She knows a put-in down there somewhere, I think.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
debra witowski

Default beaver River

The last 3 miles from the dam in New Brighton to the Ohio I have kayaked many times and my friend practices her racing kayak on it is flat ,very slow current and most of it is a no wake zone. I have kayaked the entire river, it is an ordeal. I put in under a bridge in New Castle, the river is shallow here but mostly paddleable, I done this part a few times. After the Mahoning joins in the river goes into a canyon and no takeout until Chewton, It goes past the power plant in West Pittsburgh and the river gets hot, you can feel the heat coming through the bottom of the boat. Under the bridge in Chewton is an almost rapid then the river starts into a big backed up pool from the dam in Eastville about 9 miles of no current. Then you have 3 dams in Beaver Falls and New Brighton in about 3 miles we took ropes to get the kayaks up and down from the railroad tracks. Below the last 2 dams are big rocks . then you are in the last pool that joins with the Ohio. From New Castle to Beaver took about 10 hrs for 18 miles.
debra witowski is offline   Reply With Quote