Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
EAR

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Unofficial Camp: Aug 10,11,12

I will be going up to Ridgeway on Saturday Aug. 10th for a trip on the Clarion. We will be in town late afternoon and will try to do the upper part from Johnsonburg if water level is good.If not, we will rent some bikes and ride the bike trail. We plan on staying at the outfitters on Sat.night and getting a shuttle down to Halton on Sunday. We will camp somewhere around Portland Mills on sunday and finish up in Halton on Monday afternoon. Thats the catch, you have to have Monday off. This will be a leisurely paced trip as we will only have to go about 10 miles a day.
Having done this section many times in August over the years, solo in a canoe with camping gear or a kayak is the way to go. Tandem with gear only if light.

Last edited by EAR; 07-30-2013 at 01:17 AM.
EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
erbego

Hi Ed,
I'm interested in joining you. Have Monday off. Could you give me a call at your convenience or shoot me an e-mail? Three Three Zero, Eight Six Seven, Zero Six Four Six.

Thanks,
Erin
erbego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
richpinky

Hi Ed,
I am on vacation next week so I can join you. I will be using my kayak so will be short on room,will you have room for a beer cooler ? Email me.
Rich
richpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
EAR

Both of you, come on up!! Water level looks good for a run on the Johnsonburg section Saturday. The outtfitters are having a little party on their lot with a band, bonfire and food that night also. Tim, the owner, said we will have room for tents.
See you there.
Ed
Old 08-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
erbego

So you're using Lazy River? That was one of my questions, as I saw the event posted on their website & wondered about space for us to camp. Glad there's room.

Will we be doing our own shuttle or using theirs on Saturday?

I don't know whether I can get my act together in time to get there by 2-ish, but will try. I'm not interested in biking Saturday afternoon, but would like to paddle that upper section since there's enough water. Can I let you know Friday evening or Saturday morning? Do you have a cell phone on which I can call you if needed?

Last edited by erbego; 08-09-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
EAR

Default 30 mile weekend

Just a note to say what a nice weekend I had with my river buddies. Rich Allen, my buddy Al and I did the Johnsonburg section on Saturday. Very nice due to the assist from the rain earlier in the week. Had a great time at the outfitters and in Ridgway that night. Lazy River Canoe Rental is a fun outfit. They allow us to camp there (small fee), great shuttle service at the times we wanted, some entertainment and FREE beer!! You don't get beer and bands every weekend though. From our pitched tents, we could walk into town (three blocks) and get everything we need. Resturants, bakery, bars, Subway, pizza, Rite-Aid, hardware store, Dollar Store all there.
On Sunday we went to Joey's Bakery for a great breakfast. Joining us for Sunday and Mondays trip to Halton were Erin and Jim from the previous posts. Water level continued to be good for the trip. Only scraped if you chose the wrong line. I could go on ,but you get the idea, good three days. Did I mention we had beautiful weather?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
erbego

Ed, I've been trying to get onto the website for days. Kept getting a "website is unavailable" message. Anyhow, just wanted to thank you for posting the trip. I really enjoyed it.

Erin