Old 05-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Cuyahoga River 5-18-14

Please join us Sunday,May 18th, on the Cuyahoga, the ?Crooked River,? from Tannery Park, 300 Stow Street in Kent (GPS 41.150700, -81.362763) to Waterworks Park, 2025 Munroe Falls Avenue in Cuyahoga Falls.

The trip will meet at Tannery Park in Kent, at 11:30 a.m. Parking here is limited
This 6.5 miles, flat water trip will take about 3.5 hours. Please pack something to eat for lunch along the river.
__________________________________________________ _____________

For those who wish to paddle a 1.5 mile section of the river upstream of Tannery Park through downtown Kent BEFORE meeting paddlers who will start at Tannery Park, meet at 10:00 a.m.
at River Bend Park, (GPS 41.168823, -81.347997)
a small access area on 600 River Bend Boulevard, about one-quarter mile east of Ohio Route 43. After unloading boats and gear, we will drive to the take-out at Waterworks Park and shuttle back to River Bend in as few cars as possible.

At lower water levels, this section has about a mile of class 1-2 rapids through a very interesting narrow gorge that includes the historic dam that once spanned the river in downtown Kent. Paddlers who want to run this section should have good boat control in a moderate current. At higher levels, the rapids turn to class 2-3. We will NOT run this 1.5 mile section if the flow exceeds 750 cfs on the USGS gauge. Meet instead at the Tannery Park put-in at 11:30. Watch the club website if there is any question whether we will run this section.

(JP Tolsons write up from last year) Thanks JP
Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
mfdanko99

On Wednesday the river is really high and might not be do albe.
I am looking at back up plans.

My back ups are Beaver Creek (Main Section we do)
USGS 5.6 for beaver creek Main fork from Elkton to State Park
West Fork

The other is Coneaut Creek, which is hard to hit, but it is flowing real nice at this time 2.3 usgs

Just some thought
Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)

Mike:

Are using the the Old Portage Gauge (7.00 ft) or the Hiram Rapids, Ohio Gauge (2.95 ft) for measuring the Cuyahoga river. I'd like to keep a close eye on this also, as I have camping resverations in the area for this trip and I would need to cancel them. If it needs to be cancelled then we would like to do Coneaut Creek. But I'm hoping we can stay with Cuyahoga river if it is safe.

Bruce and Dianne
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
clipper1

Default Cuyahoga River

Crossed the river several times today (bridges), might be over the capabilities of some of those attending. Out east less rain has fallen to this point, might not be so lucky tomorrow. Would like to try the Conneaut again myself...
clipper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
JPTolson

I'm not certain that I'll be able to make the trip on Sunday, but if I can, I'd love to dip the paddle in Conneaut Creek.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
redntall74

With rivers and creeks so high I would not be opposed to a flat water paddle on a nice lake on Sunday and not chance moving water at the club members various skill levels. $.02
redntall74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
cmille2195

Default Mahoning at Lowellville

The gage at Lowellville reads 7.8 feet and 8500 cfs, that being said, a group of us are going from Lowellville to Waupam taking out at the Bevington Boat Launch, very little splash just stay in the middle and steer, Zero hazards in my opinion thanks to the removed Trestle, probably. Meet at noon and if my shuttle driver is home he will pick us up in waupam when we are done?
cmille2195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
redntall74

Default Sunday?

According to the data I was checking: Cuyahoga is very high and not dropping rapidly, Conneaut is at flood stage near lake but no upstream data, Mahoning is very high but dropping fast, Beaver River is very high but also dropping fast. We will need to decide rather soon for planning.
My $.02 is Mahoning River from Lowellville to Wampum or a lake cruise nearby. I will have several Class I skill levels attending that we need to think of when planning.
The Following User Says Thank You to redntall74 For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
redntall74

Cmille2195, Are you still a go for the Mahoning Sunday? I have a small group looking for a flat water outing.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
suram

I'd like to go flat water too if there's a group going... Thanks
suram is offline   Reply With Quote