Old 06-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
BandanaDan

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default PFBC launch permits

Could somebody clarify this for me? If my canoe is registered in Ohio and I paddle in Pa, do I need to purchase a launch permit to use a PFBC boat launch?
BandanaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)

I don't think so. I think there is a agreement between Ohio and PA. I have paddled in Ohio many times, even with law enforcement present with no problems at all.

Bruce A.
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
BandanaDan

Brucea, I know Pa boaters are OK coming to Ohio, but I know Pa has special rules for their PFBC ramps and I wanted to double-check. Some of the wording on their website is a little confusing to me.
BandanaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
Ambridger

The Ohio people from the club paddled to the take-out at Parker last year with the PFBC cop there. He had been sitting in his truck looking at boats with binoculars. He did approach my father-in-law and I, as the canoe we were in had an expired PA permit (no citation as F-I-L renewed on-line that day and had the receipt). He did not go after any of the Ohio boaters with their Ohio registrations. My understanding is that PA & OH honor one anothers boating regulations.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
KenM

Default from http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/

from http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/ Q & A Visiting from out-of-state

I will be visiting Ohio and bringing my boat. Do I need to register it in Ohio?
The short answer is: No.

States have a reciprocation agreement about boat registrations, just like with automobile registrations. Just because you drive your car in another state doesn't mean you have to get license plates in that state.

If your boat is legally and currently registered in the state of primary use (the state that you use it most often) and you are _not_ a resident of Ohio, then you can use your boat on Ohio waters for up to 60 days without getting an Ohio registration for it. You must carry your primary-use-state registration with you onboard the vessel, and you are bound by all Ohio boating laws and rules.

If your boat is not required to be registered in your state of residence, then you need to carry proof of residency with you, to prove that you live out of state. You still are bound by all Ohio operating laws and rules.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
KenM

Default Ohio boat used out of state

You are required in Ohio to have your canoe, kayak or motorboat registered. With this registration you can take your boat to any state (and Canada). You MUST follow their rules/regulations if they be different from Ohio.

for example: Life preserver requirements may vary state to state. We took our kayaks to Canada... They have different lighting rules + required to have throw rope onboard.

The question about Ohio boats in PA comes up often. I never could understand NOT having a canoe/kayak registered in PA. Seems like theft would be a problem.

Specifically to the question... If your boat is registered (either OH or PA) you then do not need a launch permit.

KenM

Last edited by KenM; 06-30-2018 at 07:06 PM.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote