Old 04-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Red face Shenango River

As we all know we had to cancel the grand river trip.
I have been looking at four option so we could paddle if anyone would still want to paddle.

I am a river guy first and with the Shenango going back to normal levels jess and I are going to head there tomorrow. Most likely the level will be 4.80 ft or a little high at the USGS gauge.
The lowest we did it was 4.04 ft., so it should be a nice easy paddle.

Shenango River Pymatuning Damn (Jamestown Pa) to Greenville PA

When- April 2nd

Where- Pymatuming State Park Dam Road, Jamestown PA 16134 (google maps)

Bing maps shows the address as 3116 Dam Rd South Shenango Township, PA 16134

GPS-41.501259, -80.457111

Time-NOON

If the address doesn't come up then know the Put in is off of Dam Rd in Pymatuming State Park. Dam Rd is between St Rt 322 and East Lake Rd in Jamestown PA
This section of the river is a 9 mile paddle about 3 hours or so to do. This is a flat water paddle with two or three class 1 rapids. The take out will be at Riverside park in Greenville PA.
Please post on the website or text or call me so I know who to expect if you would like to join Jessica and me.

Mike Danko
330-766-3129

Last edited by mfdanko99; 04-01-2017 at 06:00 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
zzrufus1

Hey Mike. Chuck and I are still going to do the grand. In your opinion, is it too dangerous at 8 ft? Is there anything special about it at that level tat we should be worried about?
zzrufus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
mfdanko99

The main thing you will see is the pure speed of the water, but the main problem is all the cross currents that happen near shore or any object that may stick out.
Watch your turns, some might be very pushy that will try to push you to the outside like a nascar track can.

There is no room for a major error. if for some reason one of you flip, it will be a long and hard swim to get to shore but also to get your boat back.

Be safe and really watch the cross currents and boils as they can throw your balance off.

Have fun

Hope next weekend to get you on Ashtabula River.

Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
JPTolson

Default American Whitewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrufus1 View Post
Hey Mike. Chuck and I are still going to do the grand. In your opinion, is it too dangerous at 8 ft? Is there anything special about it at that level tat we should be worried about?
Steve,

Just so you are aware....American Whitewater lists gage readings over 4.5 above the recommended level for the Harpersfield to Hidden Valley reach of the Grand. It doesn't provide any guidelines downriver of Hidden Valley. https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...mary/state/OH/

Keelhaulers list the upper limit as 5.0.
http://www.keelhauler.org/khcc/grand1.htm

jp

Last edited by JPTolson; 04-01-2017 at 08:03 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:20 AM   #5
redntall74

Hope to see you at noon. I will bring the van. Linda is working so it will just be one for this trip.
redntall74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
jimbo

See you at noon
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
KenM

Default Ken and Cheryl Yes

We will see you there. Sorry for the late response.

K & C
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
KenM

Default Trip Report Shenango R 4-2-17

While it didn't have the scenic grandeur of the Grand River we still had a pleasant paddle on the Shenango River on Sunday. The trip is 9.2 miles which took around three hours at a leisurely pace. Water level was 4.84 ft (106 cfm) and had a nice current. While we did scrape a few gravel bars no one had to get out and walk. Being fairly early in the season we found several new trees down over the river. We were able to sneak underneath or squeeze around most of them. Our luck ran out almost within sight of Greenville Park when both channels going around an island were blocked. It was a short portage.

The river was a bit drab for this trip as the vegetation has not greened up yet and the water level has been up pretty high sometime earlier. Without leaves though we were able to spot two eagle nests. One of these nests was the largest collection of wood I have ever seen. One eagle was nearby. Also spotted were a few hawks, a muskrat and some ducks. It was a pleasant early spring day with sunshine and temps in the low 60's.

We had seven paddlers for this trip (one canoe and six kayaks if you are keeping score). Everyone headed for home after the paddle.

Ken Mozden

Last edited by KenM; 04-03-2017 at 09:43 PM.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (04-03-2017)