Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 4-9-17 Whitewater

Next River on this great and fun weekend will be Ashtabula River. our back up plan is the lower part of the Grand River.

Ashtabula River

When-Sunday April 9th

Where- Indian Trails Park 4822 State Rd South. Ashtabula OH 44004
GPS *41.855928, -80.759181

Time 10:30 am
EXPERIENCED PADDLERS-if you are new to kayaking the Ashtabula River isn't a good start.

Ashtabula offers a lot of ledge drops and mostly Class II rapids. One 5 ft. water slide, One three foot drop.
We will have to portage the Ford and that will start the second half of the trip. The first part is 4 miles long with nonstop action.
The second part is easier with class I & some II.
Total trip is 7 miles.

This afternoon we got word the Ashtabula Gauge was at 2.0ft at Dewey Rd Bridge. The lowest I will paddle it is 1.5ft At that level there will be some bumping and scraping in spots but still a great trip.

Any questions call mike
330-766-3129

ps I have you tube video of Ashtabula River
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (04-08-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
JPTolson

Default What a run!

Many thanks to Mike Danko for leading a great trip down the Ashtabula River from Green Hill Road to Indian Trails Park. The painted gage on the Dewey Road bridge read 1.5 feet–plenty of water with a few bumps and scrapes when going over the ledges. The action was pretty much non stop with one class 2 or 2+ rapid after another.

Not only was the whitewater superb, but so was the scenery! In places, the riverscape reminded us of the Grand to the west with its high shale cliffs and many hemlocks. We saw several bald eagles and kingfishers.

Everyone on the trip nearly had a chance to practice their rescue skills when I came within an inch or two of flipping after getting caught involuntarily side surfing in a keeper curler wave. Thanks to a well-placed bump from Mike's boat to mine and a desperation lean downstream, we avoided a spill and chasing down a swimmer and equipment. Thanks again, Mike!

By the end of the run, the many rapids and occasional head wind left me beat! But it was well worth the drive and the effort to see and experience this beautiful combination of scenery and whitewater. We had five kayaks and one canoe. Paddlers were Matt Brady, Mike Danko, Ron Eells, Jessica Hoffart, Paul Isaac, and JP Tolson.

Last edited by JPTolson; 04-11-2017 at 09:09 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
mfdanko99

Talking Ashtabula #1

What a Great Weekend ; I am so happy that JP & Ron got to paddle Ashtabula for the first time. Paul, Matt & Jessica was there second time.
As JP , mentioned Ashtabula is almost nonstop action. There might a short section of flat water here and there, but normally it is either a ledge drop or a wave train one after one.

I might be corny but during the paddle I could tell how great our group was working together. We all looked out for each other and helped each other out when needed.

Ashtabula is my favorite whitewater river and I sure hope everyone who paddled it can see why.

I have video from JP's helmet and will get it edited and posted soon as I can.

Mike Danko

After the paddle we went out to apple-bee's and had fun talking about the paddle and paddles from the past.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
BOBK

As we get older our cognitive skills begin to diminish and we tend to read things and can't quite comprehend what it was we just read. The above message from JP Tolson is a perfect example. I just read it and it seems that JP is admitting that he was saved from disaster by a KAYAK. I know this can't be true. Help me out here JP ...either you or I have your message all wrong. Let me know if it's me so I can seek professional help.

Last edited by BOBK; 04-11-2017 at 05:43 PM.
BOBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
JPTolson

It could just be a case of FAKE news, BobK
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
BOBK

Thanks JP.......forgot about "Fake News" and "Alternative Facts"....I guess I'm okay then!