Old 04-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Whitewater Weekend 7th, 8th, & 9th

Whitewater Weekend-April 7th, 8th, & 9th
What is whitewater kayaking?
Whitewater kayaking is the sport of paddling a*kayak on a moving body of water, typically a whitewater river. Whitewater kayaking can range from active, moving water, to demanding, extreme whitewater.

What makes a whitewater river?
Whitewater is formed in a rapid, when a river's gradient increases enough to create so much turbulence that air is entrained into the water body, that is, it forms a bubbly or aerated and unstable current; the frothy water appears white.

What is a Rapid?
Rapids are sections of a river where the river bed has a relatively steep gradient, causing an increase in water velocity and turbulence. Rapids are hydrological features between a run (a smoothly flowing part of a stream) and a cascade.

(All answers from Wikipedia)

This next event will be the first of it's kind in TCT history. First I want to say TCT is a flat water club that does up to easier class II rapids.

There is a group with in TCT that also likes whitewater. We are not trying to change TCT but give members the opportunity to expand there paddling range.
For paddlers who want to try some whitewater this is a great opportunity to do so with experience paddlers who can help. Some sections wouldn't be a good starter section for whitewater, but others would be a great section to adventure into whitewater.

This weekend will be like no other. There is no set river, no set time for Friday the 7th, Saturday the 8th, & Sunday the 9th
I will be sending an email (or calling if you need) out the night before each day with the river that is selected and some kind of description of the section.

We will be selecting sections based off of water levels the night before.
Bruce Ambrose, Paul Issac, JP, Ron, Matt Brady & myself will be working together to pick the sections.
__________________________________________________ ________
This weekend will be a little harder to plan than we originally thought. We like having enough water but we still seem to have to much in certain rivers.

Friday 7th
I spoke with Bruce & John Paul for Friday's paddle. We will not be paddling on Friday due to temperatures, rain, snow & wind that is forecasted.

For Saturday & Sunday looks good and we are looking at possible river that aren't to high.

I will be sending an email out Friday night and Saturday night with the next day trip as well as posting on TCT website.
If you need me to call or text you*please text me. Also check TCT website and I will make sure I get the email out.

Rivers we really would like to do but are on the high side for most of us are-USGS Gauges as of Wednesday
Connoquenessing Creek 3.77ft (ideal is 2-3ft range)
Slippery Rock Creek Lower Section 3.56ft 1440 CFS (ideal for us is 350 or so CFS)
Cuyahoga River Kent 1540 CFS (ideal is 1000 CFS and lower)

Now as crazy as it is there are some rivers I am hoping come up so we might have a chance of paddling them

Ashtabula River- I have to use the Conneaut Gauge, but since they moved that gauge it has been really hard to figure out Ashtabula's level.
I am trying to see if a co worker of mine could check the Painted Gauge at Dewy Rd Bridge. At the Bridge we can go low as 1.5ft up to 3.0 ft.

Ashtabula River has some changes, no longer can you take out at the Haddock ford. They built a new bridge with no parking to access the river. The ford is still there and must be portaged. The only other take out is Indian Trail Park. Now the total length is about 7 miles long.

If we drive up and Ashtabula is to low we aren't out of luck. Conneaut Creek is the next closest to Ashtabula but is also the easiest for whitewater. Mostly class I maybe a class II at higher water.

If we can't run that then we can fall back on the Grand River which is holding a nice level around 6ft that would make some fun Whitewater. Any higher and I wouldn't paddle it.

The Second River I would like to see climb back up is the Chagrin River Aurora Section. Bad news as quickly as it rises it drops even faster.
Give you an idea in the last five year I have only been on it once.

Will send more info as we hit Friday night.

Watch TCT website if interested.
Any questions text or call me
330-766-3129
Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
mfdanko99

We finally picked a river for Saturday. Due to the rain and snow and rising rivers our selection shrank really fast. We took several things into account. The biggest is safety and experience of others.
We selected Beaver Creek, I know we are slated to do it again later this month. But since this is whitewater weekend and the levels are higher than a regular club trip we will give it ago.
As of Friday afternoon the USGS at Grimms Bridge 6.12 ft. with 21,000 cfs
By tomorrow I see it hanging around six or a little lower.

For our club trip later this month the highest I will run it is 5ft.

Whitewater safety.
1- A skirt is a must
2-Helmet highly recommended
3-Extra clothes in a dry bag
4-Plenty of water and food to snack on

In any river if you flip in a rapid float out of the rapid lying on your back and feet up. NEVER STAND UP in A RAPID. Wait until you wash out to calmer water or someone can help.
You never know what is under you as you float out of a rapid. You may get you leg caught and pinned in a hole or on a tree. You never know, so just float out of the rapid.

Little Beaver Creek- Trip Leader Mike Danko & Bruce Ambrose
Class I/II (possible Class III at extreme high water above 7 foot)

When- Saturday April 8th

Where- 12905 Sprucevale Rd, East Liverpool, OH 43920
(Beaver Creek State Park Primitive Campgrounds)
(Sprucevale Rd also goes by County Rd 428)

GPS 40.70586, -80.580351

Time- 11:30 am

With the higher water levels we will start out at Sprucvale and go to Ohio River. The first three miles will be sorta flat and easy with some smaller wave trains.
Just outside of Fredericktown is were the big actions starts.
A nice rock garden will make a fun and big wave train as we pass under St Rt 170. The we will set up for the biggest rapid on the creek. Eagle Rapid at this level will provide so really big waves and cross currents that will be fun. A good spot to play around in a rapid or walk up and do it again.

After that there should be lots of wave trains all the way down to Ohio River. The rapid after Grimms bridge will be complete by passable by going river left and hitting a nice wave train instead of going river right and going into dead's man turn. At higher water it is a tuff turn to make.

If you feel uncertain of your experience or nervous of this level on this creek we more than understand if you don't want to paddle it.

Mike Danko & Bruce Ambrose

Any questions call or text mike danko at 330-766-3129
Will email and post for Sunday on Saturday Night.
My goal is Ashtabula River with a back up of Conneaut Creek for Sunday
Old 04-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
mfdanko99

Talking Review

Saturday was a great trip. I really enjoy beaver creek as I grew up on it. The level was great, the idea level is 4-6ft at the USGS gauge.
We were at 5.60 ft.
8 kayaks & 1 canoe. We had 10 paddlers, Matt Brady, Paul Issac, Ron Elles, Jessica Hoffart, Bruce & Diane Ambrose, Tim, DJ & Jessica and myself.

For Tim, DJ, & Jessica it was a great beginner level whitewater experience. The level was high enough for a good current and nice size wave the whole way down. Many spots were Paul, Matt & Ron could surf and play around with tons of eddies to catch.

I walked around Eagle Rapid a total of three times so I could paddle it for a total of four passes because it was so much fun. You could go anywhere one the rapid and hit big waves.

Yours truly went for a swim right after lunch as Paul avoided a hole and I charged for it and the sideway wave flipped me right over.

A great and fun paddle.
DJ GPS says it was 10.8 miles.

Thank to all who came
Mike