Old 06-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

River-Fest Paddle for the Public
Up Dates

Mark Vallecorsa has done so much work for this paddle, that it is amazing.
Mark has been in talks with the Trumbull County Sheriffs and Girard Fire Department. Due to Marks hard work both departments will be helping us with the safety side of the paddle.
Girard has already scouted the river and will have at least one maybe two boats in the water. The Sheriffs will have an ATV vehicle on the tracks and maybe an officer or two in Kayaks.
We still need to bring extra throw ropes and safety gear as the departments don't have many throw ropes.

After talking to Mark everything looks good with the FOMR. As of Tuesday there are 7 registered for the event. This isn't counting any of TCT members, just what has signed up on the FOMR face book page.
We will be watching the weather and water levels very closely.
On May 27th a group got to do a scout trip and the level was perfect. 2.70 ft at West Ave gauge. Above 3ft the water will start to pour over the portage area and could cause it to be slippery or be a total wash out at higher levels.

If you plan on Attending please text me or email me
330-766-3129 or tctnewsletter@gmail.com

A head count is very important for this paddle.
Mike Danko

When-June 9th

Where- Girard Boat Launch 40 Front Street Girard, OH 44420

GPS 41.152649, -80.707369

Times
The time line for this event that affects TCT will be
1-Drop of all boats & gear between 8-9:30 am
2-All paddler to sign waivers
3-Have drivers drive down to the B & O
4-Mahoning River Adventure to shuttle drivers back to Girard (TCT will owe Mahoning River Adventure $125 for their services)
5-10am Ribbon cutting for the new launch
6-Paddle Safety talk-TCT
7-11am start paddling.
8-Picnic at B&O

Total length of the paddle is 5.5 miles
Two mains rapid S curve and Wood mill
One portage around the division St Dam which is a mile downstream from the bridge.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #12
Ambridger

The Trumbull Sheriffs Dept is sending 4 of their divers to help ensure safety for this public paddle event, however they are in need of 4 kayaks to use that day. Mike has said he will bring 2 extra boats, so we are still in need of 2 more.

Also, the Girard Fire Dept is sending folks out in their boat.

Both the GFD and TSD are asking to borrow throw ropes, as they have very few. If anybody has any extra, please bring them. Please mark your equipment, to help make sure it gets back to the correct person.

Finally, keep checking back, as the weather is looking questionable.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #13
mfdanko99

I can only bring one kayak for the sheriff to use. If other have extra that would be great
Old 06-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #14
Ambridger

Just spoke with Mike. The paddle is on. We still need a couple kayaks for the sheriffs, and any extra throw ropes you may have. See you all tomorrow morning!
Old 06-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #15
Ambridger

I was only able to get one picture to upload. The others I need to rotate and the site won't let me do that. If your on Facebook check out The Goat Kings. They were the folks there taking pictures and video.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #16
suram

Default Great trip!

I thought that the trip was really well organized. FOMR had breakfast, registration and lunch well planned and efficient and thanks to Mike and Mark V for all the time and effort put in to assure our safe passage. Thanks to Ed Hahn for being at the last riffle. Thanks too to Rich for helping us all out of the water at B&O. This is a wonderful bunch of people! Weyland and Jerrod put together a beautiful video of the event:
(Weyman/Manny/Photogemz/ Sitegemz Jackson and his partner Jarrod)

https://youtu.be/MdLTnujfTq8

Here's a link to the news coverage that Jody posted on our FB page:
http://www.wytv.com/news/local-news/...ion/1227745575

Last edited by suram; 06-10-2018 at 03:13 PM.
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #17
mfdanko99

Smile

The Paddle ended up going very well. I counted 59 paddlers in 58 boats. The canoes were out numbered again 54 Kayaks to 4 Canoes.

Having the Trumbull County Sheriff Dive team there was awesome and really enjoyed talking to them.
The Girard Fire Department came out in force. Total of 8 of them in three boats and a ATV.

No one fell in so they didn't get to throw any ropes as one fire fighter was disappointed. They were able to stay with the group up to the Trumbull County Line.

The group got really spread out after the rapid but it actually worked in our favor making the portage at the dam easier and the take out at the B&O.

Big thanks goes to Ed Hahn for staying up front while Ron & I were in the middle. Also a big thanks needs to go to Mark & Jodi for staying as the sweepers.

Sue, Tim, Mark M, Ed, Mark V and myself all had radio's. I am a little disappointed with the radio's. Looks like the max range on the river is about a mile. I was never able to reach Ed after the rapids, but I could connect with Tim who was in the middle of the group.

Thanks also needs to be given to Rich Allen for coming and helping with the launch, take out at the B&O and the ride back to Girard for Kristen and myself to get our trucks.

The FOMR had a great plan that allowed TCT to do the paddle with ease.

Thank you to all members who came out and helped. I counted 18 TCT members.
Thanks again
Mike