Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Mahoning River (NOTE CHANGE OF DATE)

Please join the club on Sunday, September 14 (trip date changed from September 7), on the Mahoning River Trail from Rotary Park, 1025 First Street in Newton Falls, Ohio (lat 41.196029, long -80.967473), to Thomas Swift Park, 870 Benedict-Leavittsburg Road, Leavittsburg, Ohio (lat 41.238975, long -80.915873). This 7.2 miles, flat water trip will take about three hours. Please pack something to eat for lunch along the river.

We will meet at Rotary Park in Newton Falls at noon, unload boats, move vehicles to the take out at Swift Park, and shuttle back to Rotary.

My apologies to anyone who was planning to come on this trip on the originally scheduled date of September 7th and now cannot make the trip on September 14th.

Please call or email JP Tolson at 330-337-7752 or john.paul.tolson@gmail.com if you have any questions. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the club's home river.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
JPTolson

I want to give those who plan to come on Sunday's trip an update on river conditions. On a scouting trip of the Mahoning between Rotary Park and Swift parks last weekend, we found trees entirely blocking the river at two locations?one about a half mile downriver from the Rotary Park put in and one just upriver from milepost 11, about 2.5 miles from the take out. For the water level that day, 2.46 ft. on the Pricetown gage, getting around both obstructions required exiting and entering boats along side the downed trees, hefting/sliding boats over the them, and some delicate balancing footwork on wet logs. Both obstructions and the places to get through them are also in deep water, and it is not feasible to carry boats around them on shore along either side of the river because the banks are steep. In one instance a chain link fence blocks the way. I also know of no other put in immediately below first tree that is down.

As a result, there is a strong probability that the trip this Sunday, September 14, will be shifted to the section of the Mahoning above Rotary Park. Right now, a viable option is to put in above the dam at Rotary Park (milepost 6), paddle upstream to approximately milepost 3 (where there is another river-wide tree on its side), have lunch somewhere in that vicinity, and return to Rotary Park for a total of six river miles. The current should not be too stiff at this level to paddle upstream when I looked at it today (9/9) and the Pricetown gage reading was 2.54 ft. So for now, our meeting place and time remain the same?noon at Rotary Park in Newton Falls. Keep an eye on this board for any other updates and contact me with any questions.

jp
330-337-7752
Old 09-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
LWP

Chris and I are planning to be there tomorrow!
LWP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LWP For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
JPTolson

Meeting time and place remain the same?noon at Rotary Park, 1025 First Street in Newton Falls.

NOTE: For those who may use Route 5 coming from the east...There was a detour on Route 5 near Route 82 last weekend. I don't know if there is still a detour at that location, but just wanted to pass along this information.

See everyone tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
jimbo

Looks like a great day for a paddle, see everyone at noon!
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
JPTolson

Thanks to the 15 paddlers who turned out on a beautiful late summer Sunday. We did about a five-mile trip starting from the Newton Falls dam at Rotary Park and going upstream on the Mahoning River Trail to the mouth of Kale Creek, before turning around and returning to Rotary Park. Water level at Pricetown was 2.45 feet and the current did not present a serious impediment to paddling upstream. And no shuttle was necessary!
We had 13 kayaks and two canoes, one of them Jim Bozdog's brand new Old Town Pack?only 33 lbs!

I have a few pictures, but am having problems posting them. I will post them once the problems are resolved.

JP
The Following User Says Thank You to JPTolson For This Useful Post:
jimbo  (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
mfdanko99

Sorry Jess & I missed the trip. We couldn't make it down from Huntsburg in Time. We ended up paddling the Grand River from 528 to Mason Landing.
Near lower level for this section.
USGS was 2.61, the gauge on the bridge was 2ft. We put in at 1pm and pulled out about 4pm.

We took the canoe since it was already loaded and brought along her dog tori which was fun to watch her with waves attacking her as she was in the front of the canoe.

Sounds like a great turn out on the mahoning, again sorry for missing
Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
JPTolson

Default Pictures from Sunday, September 14

I didn't take many pictures on our trip last Sunday, but I've posted a few of them in User Albums. Enjoy!