Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Clarion River Report

Jessica and myself took a week and camped at Clear Creek State Park, PA on the banks of the Clarion River. This is the 2019 river of the year in PA.

On 10-1-19 we did 18 miles from Ridgeway to Irwin. We used Loves livery as our shuttle. Country Squirrel Livery is now closed and for sale.
Great section with many ripples and some scenic view. This section allowed us to pass threw Trestle Rapid (class I) then X, Y & Z rapids (all class I)
the USGS Gauge in Cooksburg was 2.5 ft (very low) and took us 5 hours.

On 10-2 We had a great surprised as Rich Allen drove 2 hours to come paddle with us.
We paddled from Clear Creek State Park to Cooksburg. This 11 mile section took us 3 hours to paddle.
USGS gauge was 2.0 ft. which is the paddle zero on trail map.
This section is very different than the upper with smoother sections and different scenery that made it a nice and peaceful paddle.

The best part of all the paddling was I never got out of the canoe in shallow waters, while someone in a KAYAK had to get out twice and did a lot more bumping a grinding than solo canoer in big green.

If you haven't paddled this river I highly recommend doing so, just do it at higher water levels around 3 to 4 ft.
Mike